What is ailing my hen?

Lizz9311

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Central Massachusetts
I have a hen, age unknown (I've had her for less than a month and didn't get the age from the former owner
he.gif
), that is exhibiting some odd symptoms that I have no idea what could be ailing her or how to fix her.

At first I thought it was egg binding, but I soaked her and probed her vent with no success in locating a stuck egg.

Symptoms:
- Lethargic. She spends most of her day lounging around.
- Poop pasted to feathers around vent. She had this when I first got her and I thought it was just because she had so many feathers in that area. Now I'm wondering if it's a symptom for something else.
- Not eating/drinking much. She is eating, but not a whole heck of a lot. When I provided her feed in her cage, she went at it at first like she hadn't eaten all day, but then quickly tapered off to not eating it at all. I'd estimate she ate about 1/3 of a cup. I have yet to see her drink now that she's been separated from the remainder of the flock.
- Firm abdomen and hind area. When I first suspected egg binding, I felt her abdomen towards the vent area and it was very firm and swollen.
- Missing feathers on belly. I think this has been a by-product of her lethargy, but she's now missing a patch of feathers on her belly.
- Virtually no breast muscle. While feeling her abdomen, I noticed that her breast bone was protruding abnormally far and I felt little to no breast "meat".

What I have done:
- As previously stated, I soaked her in lukewarm water for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- I also probed her vent in search of a lodged egg with no success. There was no sign of any egg as far as I could tell.
- Gave her a small amount of yogurt, which she ate very little of. She also has feed available in her cage as well as vitamin enhanced water (poultry vitamin mix).
- She has been separated from the rest of my flock until I get this figured out.

Am I missing something here? I have no idea what could be ailing her or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If her lower abdomen is swollen that is very likely ascites, fluid buildup in the body cavities. The loss of condition and sharp breast bone go along with that. It has several causes and none of them are curable.

As a side note, since she is new to your property coccidiosis is also a concern in addition to her other issues. Worms may be a problem too if the previous owner did not have her on a regular deworming schedule.

Back
Top Bottom