What is best for my duck?

emuhleey

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
New Jersey
Hello, a little over 3 years ago I started with 3 magpie ducks, 2 female and one male. One female, Gigi, died almost 2 years ago to a hawk and then Elvis (female...I didn't know when she was a baby!) and Puddles (male) were fine together. Now, a week ago Elvis died and Puddles got very hurt from another unknown predator. After spending hundreds of dollars at the vet, Puddles is recovering nicely, but I am worried about him still because he was the most social of the 3 and now he is the only duck left.

My question is this: what would be best for him in your opinion? (slaughtering will NEVER be an option for me!) Do you think he would be happier if I gave him to a wildlife sanctuary to be with other ducks? Or, I will try to give him as much of my attention as possible...but I still work and am a full time student. He was always very attached to me, would sit on my lap and fall asleep on me, follow me everywhere, etc. even when the other ducks were alive. So I am not sure what would be best for him, human family or new duck family. I will be absolutely heartbroken if I have to give him away but if it is truly what would make him happiest I am willing to do it.

Thank you

Edit: I live with my parents and they say getting another duck is not an option either :(

Last edited:
Unfortunately he would probably be much happier with other ducks. You will be away a lot if you are a full time student and work, and he will be all alone for that time. They are flock animals and I've actually seen them die of loneliness, not eating or drinking until they die. Can you explain this to your parents? I'm not sure why they'd be opposed to a new duck since two are really no more trouble than one.

Since you cannot be home with him 24/7 he will need other duck company. Have you contacted the wild life sanctuary? Since yours is domestic they may not even take him. I'm very sorry for you loss and it is heartbreaking, but you need to do what is right by your duck. Have you tried to explain to your parents that he cannot be alone and will be very depressed? If that is absolutely not an options I would see about rehoming here on the free rehoming forum.

Thank you both of you for replying. And I didn't mean wildlife sanctuary exactly, it's for rescued domesticated farm animals. I think that is the route I am going to take since he is so lonely. Although I want to keep him for selfish reasons, unfortunately it is not a good time to get another duck since I will be moving in a year or so once I graduate college and currently the setup is in my parents' yard. They don't want another duck :(

Thank you for reassuring me I'm not abandoning him if I take him to the farm. It's close enough that I can still visit once per week. I love that little guy, these ducks were my children.

So sorry about your losses. :( I do agree that the wildlife sanctuary you mentioned definitely sounds like the best option for Puddles (they do have other ducks there, right?). He definitely needs other ducks to live a happy life as we are not able to be with them 24-7. I'm sure it'll be hard for you to let him go, but it's best for him in the long-run.

Back
Top Bottom