What is eating my duck eggs?

Angela Thomson

Songster
6 Years
Aug 6, 2017
Southern Indiana
I'm usually gone to work, but this morning I went to the duck pen to see if they started laying again yet, and there were two broken eggs by their pond. I have no idea what did this. They may have been laying all along and I didn't know. We recently moved them into their new pen with pond and duck house. There are no other animals or poultry in the pen with them. Three ducks, one impotent drake.
Here's a pic:

Attachments

• Pecked Duck Egg.jpg
    Pecked Duck Egg.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 80
What is the pen covered in? How big are the holes in it , more importantly??

If it’s the fence in your avatar that looks like 2 inch holes ? Many creatures can fit threw that ,

What creatures would peck? Open an egg like that is the question ?and the shell gets eaten too .... very interesting

What is the pen covered in? How big are the holes in it , more importantly??

If it’s the fence in your avatar that looks like 2 inch holes ? Many creatures can fit threw that ,

What creatures would peck? Open an egg like that is the question ?and the shell gets eaten too .... very interesting

That pic was their old pen. I haven't put up the poultry netting yet, but I do have it on hand. I think DH will be doing that this evening lol
I've just never seen and egg opened like that! My ducks couldn't peck it like that! The yolks were nearly gone too. The pen is mostly in the trees and tree line so I don't think a hawk could land in there.

I'm usually gone to work, but this morning I went to the duck pen to see if they started laying again yet, and there were two broken eggs by their pond. I have no idea what did this. They may have been laying all along and I didn't know. We recently moved them into their new pen with pond and duck house. There are no other animals or poultry in the pen with them. Three ducks, one impotent drake.
Here's a pic:

Good info here! Shared for y'all! I'm thinking crow, but not sure they can land in there with all the trees.
http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-identify-egg-thieves

Back
Top Bottom