What is going on with my girl? (graphic pic)

Karrie13

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Minnesota
Earlier this year her bottom was being pecked on by another chicken so I removed her from that pen cleaned her up and gave her time to heal. Once she was healed I put some blue keyote on her and put her back with her flock. I haven’t had any other pecking problems since. But she has yet to grow back feathers on her bottom and her skin is looking kind of blue/green. She also has some red spots. She is still laying me a couple eggs a week but I am worried about how her bottom looks. Do you have any ideas on how I can help her?

She is a 1 ½ year old EE
Lays a blue/green egg 3-5 a week
Eats Layer, many veggies, and free ranges
Has free choice oyster shell and grit
She is the only one with this problem and is currently in a flock of 20 which includes 1 young rooster.

29972_molly_bottom.jpg

29972_molly_bottom_2.jpg

Looks like damage caused by the rooster's toenails and spurs. It may also be the result of feather picking. There are skin lacerations and bruises on her back. Without the padding of feathers she is very susceptible to skin and tissue damage. This is the perfect instance where a chicken saddle is called for.

In addition to the feather picking you can see new feathers are coming in. The Pickers may be seeing this as well and are picking that. Take the pickers out. She needs time to heal. With the new feathers also comes the need for additional protein requirement. Give hard boiled egg.
Edit: out of 20 hens she maybe lowest in the pecking order as well. That could be why she is the only one with this happening to her. Good Luck

Last edited:
Well I would use the wonderful help all animal slave called Bag Balm. You can buy it at most Wal-Marts in the pet sections. But they also have it at our local feed store. I would keep that on it for a few days. It really helps with irritation of the skin.. In my house human and non humans use it. Plus the others might not like the taste. I would definatly take a chance if you can this weekend and sit outside and monitor the chicken behavior. Is the Roo just into rough sex or are the other hens being mean to her who knows. But by taking some time sitting where you can watch them you just might discover the answer.

Here's info about the Bag Balm

http://www.bagbalm.com/where.htm

Christal

Back
Top Bottom