what is going wrong? ? graphic pic

Ok. So 2 out of 4 seramas hatched.3 out of 4 silkies and 1 out of 12 marans? . Very confusing. I can only see (barely ) air cell shadow on a couple maran eggs as they are so dark. Today starts day 24. The others hatched day 20..

Did eggtopsies. Only 4 were developed and still wet n yolk so 2nd week death? One of those the air cell was on the side of the egg? The rest were pure egg yolks. Infertile?

Did eggtopsies. Only 4 were developed and still wet n yolk so 2nd week death? One of those the air cell was on the side of the egg? The rest were pure egg yolks. Infertile?
Fully developed could be anywhere around or after lockdown. No development could certainly be infertile, but it could also be a fertile egg that for some reason (especially with shipped eggs and damage during shipping at a cellular level) just failed to develop.

I haven't done the marans myself, but many that I have conversed with that have, have at some point had problems with the marans. One thing that I have observed is most hatchers of marans (especially the BCM) have found that they need to run humidity extremely low (or dry) until lockdown for the egg to loose enough moisture. (Providing that dry still produced 25% humidity for most hatchers.) I have even heard, and I am by no means suggesting, just passing what I've heard, of hatchers actually "sanding" eggs to help with moisture loss. So, basically what I am saying is I've seen lots more discussions on troubles with hatching marans (from experienced hatchers) than with most.

I guess I was trying to figure out what I did wrong.and if it my fault most of the maran eggs didn't even develop. Incubating dry 1-18 then 65-75+% in separate incubator at lockdown.

I guess I was trying to figure out what I did wrong.and if it my fault most of the maran eggs didn't even develop. Incubating dry 1-18 then 65-75+% in separate incubator at lockdown.
The fact that there was no development would steer me to think it's a fertility issue seeing as you had decent numbers from the other eggs. I would start with sampling a few of the marans eggs for fertility checks. Then that will lead you in your next direction.

Oh well.. I adore the little chicks that hatched and hoping for a good hatch with my own upcoming silkie eggs :) all viable so far.
Thanks for the input

Back
Top Bottom