what is he?

sharihumpy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Trying to figure out what he is?

These are his babies their mom was a Barred Plymouth so what are the chicks?

Last edited:
I'm not positive on the breed and don't want to say something that isn't right! Just wanted to say He is beautiful! And the babies are cute too! :)

Oh and are you sure the mom to all was a BR? Because some of them look like they have what I believe to be called top hats!

Last edited:
He's a barnyard mix rooster. With the color, straight comb and dark legs, plus the body shape, he's mixed enough no specific breed stands out. So, his chicks are mixed breed birds......

But, if the mother is a barred Rock, the chicks are sex linked (sex is linked to color). Chicks that had a white spot on their heads and are now barred are males, chicks with solid heads that are solid (non-barred) now are females.

but, neither this rooster or the barred Rock hen produced those Polish looking chicks
wink.png

He's a barnyard mix rooster. With the color, straight comb and dark legs, plus the body shape, he's mixed enough no specific breed stands out. So, his chicks are mixed breed birds......

But, if the mother is a barred Rock, the chicks are sex linked (sex is linked to color). Chicks that had a white spot on their heads and are now barred are males, chicks with solid heads that are solid (non-barred) now are females.

but, neither this rooster or the barred Rock hen produced those Polish looking chicks
wink.png
I don't think you can get a sex like chicken with a mixed breed rooster. If that's a Large Fowl BR hen in the background then i would have to say he probably has some bantam in him. Nice Duckwing color though.Very pretty.

Sex linking is the result of genetics, not breed, so as long as the male is not barred[Barring would show up on a duckwing pattern] and the female is, it does not matter which breeds are bred to have sex linked color chicks.

Last edited:
Sex linking is the result of genetics, not breed, so as long as the male is not barred[Barring would show up on a duckwing pattern] and the female is, it does not matter which breeds are bred to have sex linked color chicks.
x2. Pretty much any non-barred rooster (not white, either) over a barred hen will give you black (barred) sex link offspring.

Thank you for the information. I did see the Rooster today and he is barman 3 or 4 pounds at the most. What is Duckwing is that a breed??

Hmm he really is beautiful!! If I had to guess I would say a Faverolles rooster. That's what he looks like to me, hope I helped!!

Back
Top Bottom