What is she trying to tell me?!?!

courtneyytags

Chirping
Jan 11, 2021
So my SLW are a very chatty pair. They woke me up this morning to let them out but the one that was screaming went back in twenty minutes later to sit in the coop.

I don’t know if she’s just practicing her egg song (hasn’t started laying yet) because I found her in her nesting box later that morning. She was singing in the run but no one went in to lay an egg until about forty minutes later. She likes to sit in her nesting box and sing for the other hens while they’re in the “favorite” nesting box. Could there be any complications with her egg laying I should be looking out for?

The other sound she’s making (the one she woke me up with) was more of a “lalalAaAaAAaaaaaa” so I’m not sure if she just thinks she’s a talented singer or if she’s trying to talk to me lol. If you listen closely, you can hear one of my ameraucanas cooing back and I think they’re just being social. I put my guesses over the video. I just want to know if she’s distressed or feeling vocal, thanks!

I have a couple hens who sing the egg/alarm song both before and after laying. I don't know if they're just super proud or want everyone else to know they're about to go lay or what.

You're probably right about them just being social or getting ready to start laying, though. They act a bit different as they're figuring the whole laying thing out and it takes a bit to get into a pattern. Unless you can find something for her to be upset about, I'd just keep an eye (and ear) out.

I'm not an expert on early egg issues so hopefully someone can help tell you what to look for in case there are issues. I wouldn't be really worried, though.

The variety of sounds and amount if socialization/communication always surprises me with these little creatures.

Back
Top Bottom