What is that thing on my chickens back/butt ?????? -pictures-

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
My chickens recently had a mite problem and I dusted them with Sevin Dust. I dusted them twice, 10 days apart. Today I checked them over if there is still a problem since some of them look still a little bit "scruffy" and their feathers on their back/hind are still fluffed up (don't know how else to describe it). On my broody which was the easiest to inspect I found this "growth" on her back/butt. What it is?????

I have no idea, but it almost looks like a wart? Does it seem to hurt them? Can chickens get ingrown feathers like people get ingrown hairs? At least is isn't red or bleeding... I will leave it to the professionals on here...

Yes that is definitely her preening gland so don't mess with it. If you watch her preening, she will keep returning to that area to collect oil and then spread it through her other feathers. All your chickens will have it
smile.png

What a relief!!! Thank you :)
Can't believe this is the first time that I noticed it. I had chickens for the last 5 years and never ever came across it…….

What a relief!!! Thank you :)
Can't believe this is the first time that I noticed it. I had chickens for the last 5 years and never ever came across it…….
Lol! It's not something you'd have any reason to see I guess. It's not an area where you would usually be checking for problems as usually we look at the underside of the bird of the bird or at the vent if we are chcecking for problems like lice, mites, infection etc.

Thank goodness for this post! I just saw this on a chicken and got nervous. Then I saw it again a few minutes later on a different chicken. I then realized it had to be something normal, but I didn’t know what! Thanks again..

Back
Top Bottom