What is the best bait for raccoons in a live trap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbor has a HUGE raccoon problem in her coop. She is using a large live trap. (I have recommended a dukes trap) What is the best bait to use? She has tried raw pork chop, wet cat food, dry cat food, live rats, eggs, cooked bacon, and honey. Any other suggestions. Still NO luck!!!! she is down to 1 chicken, 1 quail, a few ducks, and a goose.....any ideas would be eagerly accepted and tried. Thank you so much!! (Oh, I think she has tried both covering and uncovering the trap as well)
The best bait I have ever used was caned cat food!

Neighbor has a HUGE raccoon problem in her coop. She is using a large live trap. (I have recommended a dukes trap) What is the best bait to use? She has tried raw pork chop, wet cat food, dry cat food, live rats, eggs, cooked bacon, and honey. Any other suggestions. Still NO luck!!!! she is down to 1 chicken, 1 quail, a few ducks, and a goose.....any ideas would be eagerly accepted and tried. Thank you so much!! (Oh, I think she has tried both covering and uncovering the trap as well)
The best bait I have ever used was caned cat food!

Oh, I have no problem with their extermination! I just want to make sure it is legal to do it. I don't want the sheriff or animal welfare or peta on my butt... So, it is perfectly legal or would this be done on the down-low?? And do we know for sure? Sorry to push this... never been one to take to many chances.
th.gif
You need to find out what the laws are in your area. Try looking it up online or call the local animal control...for raccoons you might call and animal removal company, they would know the law and hopefully not tell you a lie to get you to pay them to do the removal.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=5674

The last paragraph on Raccoons

"Nuisance or sick raccoons may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of raccoon diseases in Ohio, all live trapped raccoons must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult your district wildlife office for further information."

It would not make much sense to release them on your property again after catching them, So IMO do as Troy would say Chootem.

Last edited:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=5674

The last paragraph on Raccoons

"Nuisance or sick raccoons may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of raccoon diseases in Ohio, all live trapped raccoons must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult your district wildlife office for further information."

It would not make much sense to release them on your property again after catching them, So IMO do as Troy say Chootem.

Shoot em!!!!

when i was a younger man,much younger, i done alto of coon hunting.in training puppies we had to catch alto of them in live traps.this is how we done it.coons are very smart animals. if there is any way to get the bait with out going into the trap he will figure it out.with live traps we had to do a number of things to out smart him.most of the live traps are made with wire large enough for the coon to get his "HANDS" in.the back of the trap needs to be covered with something that will not allow him to get his hands in.we built wooden boxes just big enough for about 8 inches of the back of the trap to slide in.we used thick wire stakes to stake the trap down so he could not turn it over.we also covered the trap with brush and grass so it would not look like a trap.coon urine was sprayed on the brush and trap.as far as bait sardines was the best bait we found.in oil not mustard sauce.
the sardines cans has the ez open lids.we did not open the lids we just drilled holes in the bottom so the oil would run out and the wired the bait to the back of the trap.there is one bait that he cannot turn down.HONEY BUNS !!!.the only problem with them is you can not tie the bait in the trap.i know this is alto of work just to trap a coon but it was almost a no fail system. hope this helps. there are some coons we just could not trap.GOOD LUCK !!

oh almost forgot.in VA you can kill any animal that is destroying ur property or live stock.with big game a permit is required.as in deer ,bear and turkeys.you can even kill someones domestic dog or cat. YOU GOT THAT RIGHT !

We live in Ohio and have found that Little Friskies cat food with any sort of fish in it works well. We get the little cans,open them and dribble the juice to make a scent path to the live trap. Set the can of the solids in the trap. We occasionally catch a cat or an opossum with this bait. The cats are usually of the feral sort and need to receive the same final treatment as the raccoon. Never caught a skunk (god forbid) but I suppose it is a possibility,
Raccoons are really wary. Don't compromise your set with a lot of other scents, Most importantly human or canine. Those two scents are major warnings to 'coon and it may deter them from bait or prey. But remember they can recognize that the scents in a much used area are a normal pattern that they can deal with. Human or dog scent in a random place is alarming to them.

We always dealt with the major attacks (that is when the baby coon start to travel with their mother, the wheat is harvested and deprives them of a major food source, water starts to become scarce, all usually around the 4the of July) by poisoning them wholesale. One year we lost birds for three days and trapped 9 coon in that time. Got serious the third night and set a lot of poison. Pitchforked 27 out of the yard an onto the trailer the next morning, Have no idea if any made it into surrounding cover before they died.

I have become more tolerant of raccoons as I age.Used to be I would drive into the ditch to run over one of the dam things, Now it has to be a mother and her litter before I go to the ditch after them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom