What is the best breed of chicken for a family to have?

My BO's are very friendly and good with the kids. My production red is also very friendly, she's one of the first to come when I call, but doesn't like to be petted. I got her as an adult, not a chick though so don't know if that makes a difference. I wanted all BO's at first, thought I'd have a pretty gold flock, but then decided I wanted a colorful flock so had to add more.
idunno.gif
lol.png

I'm up in Wis. and have done a lot of research prior to getting my first chickens. For cold-hardiness, I do not recommend bantams, although my sister does have a flock of them up here. I would go with one of the heavy breeds. If you look on some mail/web-order hatchery sites, they have lists of heavies with their descriptions. Murrey McMurrey is one, or Mt. Healthy. But if you get them mail order, you have to buy a minimum of 15 to 25, depending on the hatchery. A local feed store will let you get less. TSC has a minimum of 6 up here.
Are you not going to be heating your coop? (My heating consists of 2 red heat bulbs in a brooder fixture). If not, and it gets really cold by you, I would also suggest getting a breed with rose or pea combs so they have a lesser chance of getting frostbite.
Personally, my favorites for friendliness are Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps, both are very social heavy breeds. My production reds are also very nice, although not nearly as heavily bodied or feathered. They sit on my lap all the time.
Do you have a Tractor Supply near you, or a feed store? Both places carry chicks this time of year. My TSC carries chicks through May 27th. Their website has a lot of useful chick/chicken info on it for research.

TSC website link:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/conten.../livestock_care_raising_poultry_expert_advice

Good luck in your chicken endeavor and keep us posted on your progress!
D.gif

I do plan on heating the coop, but the chickens will still have the option to go outside if they want. Yes, we do have a local TSC but we are wanting less than six, so I'm probably going to buy from Mypetchicken.com since they vaccinate.
Thanks very much and I will post pics when we get the coop built, etc!

I'm thinking since we are having about 3-5 chicks,(No roosters, hopefully!!) we will do a coop sort of like this one..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=26484 because we DO have two dogs! Lol
smile.png

Pretty nice!
If you do not want roosters, make sure you buy pullets only, not the straight run. Straight run is "as hatched" which is unsexed and can be anywhere from 50/50, 70/30 or 90/10% roosters. Even when buying pullets, there is always a chance that a roo might slip by, but it's not too terribly common.
I don't know if you know what chicken math is, but I would advise you to get 6 chicks to start. But that's just my humble opinion.
big_smile.png

This guy has a nice set-up for his first flock.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6118270#p6118270

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope not really? Could you explain more on what it is?
tongue.png

And I know the thing about pullets, that's what we plan to order.
smile.png

Quote:
What? Straight run? Or chicken math?

My husband just loves chicken math!
somad.gif
He says I can have 3 chickens. I say 8. That equals 11. But I can't get an odd number, so I better add 3 more. So I'll come home with 14.

Open a new thread and ask about chicken math. You'll be rolling on the floor laughing at some of the responses.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom