What rooster breeds do best at watching over a flock?

It doesn't matter. Hens are completely capable of watching out for themselves. A rooster won't change anything except that you'll need a constant supply as predators will likely pick the rooster off first since he'll be standing there yelling.

This is smart. I like this idea.
They babies demonstrated this morning that the adults had taught them how to drink out of the nipple waterer. The white thing is a 2nd heating pad I hung so the babies had a warming spot outside the tote. In the past, as they start trying to sleep on nest boxes and/or on the roost, i move the heating pad to join them.
Pics from last year's babies. In June, so warmer temps
20230616_161810.jpg
Heating pad became a perch

20230615_130042.jpg
Exploring while adults are outside/coming in to lay eggs

20230614_173503.jpg
Including the roosts....4 feet up. They use the pallet ladder to get up.
20230613_094359.jpg
And exploring outside. The adults keep them close to the coop/ push them back inside

It doesn't matter. Hens are completely capable of watching out for themselves. A rooster won't change anything except that you'll need a constant supply as predators will likely pick the rooster off first since he'll be standing there yelling.
Depends upon the predator. They have a call for bird in the air, a different call (quieter) for dangerous bird in the air. When they use it EVERYONE freezes. There's yet another call for animal on the ground. And they use some of the noisy ones for "HUMAN, COME HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!" The crowing call is "All is well"

Depends upon the predator. They have a call for bird in the air, a different call (quieter) for dangerous bird in the air. When they use it EVERYONE freezes. There's yet another call for animal on the ground. And they use some of the noisy ones for "HUMAN, COME HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!" The crowing call is "All is well"
All the roosters have is a (usually) deeper voice to sound the alarm. Though the aerial predator *squark* is humorous. 🤣

This goes against everything I’ve learned and probably you have learned about australorps. I had an extremely friendly rooster named pirate that was by far the friendliest chicken I’ve ever met but, he also protected his girls very well. He did fight once but not ever agai but he did warn the hens (chickens and ducks) against possible threats when they were free ranging. I would recommend australorps to beginners. Very nice and pretty, and was gentle with the girls. I miss him so much.:hit

Back
Top Bottom