What is the best breed of chicken for a family to have?

My goodness! Can not believe that, it's crazy!
The past few days we have been talking about EEs here, and we think they're a pretty cool idea.
Do the colored eggs taste any different ?? :O

Quote:
How cold do your winters get? All of our chickens have tolerated the cold but the one with single combs (Speckled Sussex-super sweet, Barred rock-top hen+ friendly, Welsummer-very social) all had varying degrees of frostbite (got to -30 before wind chill last winter). Not that big of a deal because once the tip dies off it won't have frostbite again, but still, nice to avoid if possible.

I have one EE that lays a legitimate tinted jumbo egg and is very friendly, so I would recommend the 'breed' highly. My daughter's fav was the Welsummer. We also like our Light Brahma so much we just got a Dark Brahma chick who is super-friendly. The Brahmas and EE have the advantage of pea combs so they don't get frost bite. One of my friends swears by Orpingtons so I have some in the incubator now. Another friend's favorites are the sexlinks and her Australorp.

I suspect as long as you play with them when they are chicks you will have great success!

Oh, and double the size of any enclosure you are planning cuz you'll need the extra space!

I think last winter in this part it got to be about -15.
And yes, I am going to have a lot of time on my hands so I will be able to give them LOTS of attention : )

Back
Top Bottom