What is the best breed of dog to protect your coop at night? How do you train them?

Curious if anyone has breed knowledge and specific experience in having dogs that excelled in this area!

I am further north with harsher winters but predators pretty much the same. Once you get up a running your biggest threat will likely shift to Great Horned owls if dogs does not read alarm calls of your birds.

So are you looking for a dog(s) that will simple perimeter patrol and prohibit access to your aviary?

Or do you need/want the dog to co-mingle with your birds?

What kind if birds do you have?

How big is your aviary?

I want a dog who is alert and chases any invaders into my property away! Like raccoons, foxes etc. no tbe dog wouldnt live in the aviary!

My dogs most frequently engage predators outside pens. If predator can get in, dog ideally must be able to get in as well. I have so dogs know gaps which requires a little training. Patrolling dogs makes it difficult for predators to learn gaps. If fox can get in, the what prevents a Great-horned Owl from doing same?

Centrachid, id never consider an aviary without a secure top to it to prevent hawks and owls. Ive had raccoons and grey fox climb the corner posts and rip thru netting to get inside and kill my waterfowl. Im considering an outside dog to add another layer of protection! Adding electric fencing and nightguard lights also!

Then the fencing alone might keep gray fox and raccoons out. Great-horned Owls for me a good at exploiting holes and will walk on ground to get at prey. Dog stops latter very well. Cheapest approach for setup I envision you having would be strips of hot-wire blocking climbers from going up current perimeter. Dog could then have just stopping diggers and serving as an alarm to do,

Almost every dog with a limited hunt drive would do the job for you. All cattle, shepherd and gard dog learn easily to protect the family incl. livestock and will stay on your property at night. Corgie, red heeler and swiss moutain dogs are all cattle dogs and will do well, when trained right, But the characters of this three dog breeds are quite different and while a red heeler ist easily bored and will find way to "entertain himself", a Appenzeller will enjoy the view from his fav. spot the yard for most of the day.

I have two Great Pyrenees that guard our farm, chickens included. The female is a tad more vocal, and scares most pests away simply by barking and growling, however, our male, Odin, will take care of any animals that are a little more stubborn. I know for a fact that we have a pack of coyotes, foxes, possums, racoons, and a ton of feral cats. We also happen to have a mama bear that usually raises two or three cubs a year. I've had one bird taken by predators, and it was at a time when both dogs were inside, and I'm pretty sure it was the bear.

My two GP are both very responsive, and good around (most) people, but they don't take kindly to other animals. If you want a dog that's a tad more affectionate, and flexible, get a female. Out female is much less aggressive and territorial. Our male does not leave the property, as he is extremely territorial and knows his job is at the farm.
Honestly, I don't think I would ever have another guard dog breed. They're the only breed that has been aggressive towards pests, without being untrustworthy with the livestock. They do their job well.

Back
Top Bottom