Dog safe coop ideas?

pinecone33

Chirping
Aug 1, 2022
Västra Götaland Sverige
Two days in a row now my neighbours dog has been running into our backyard and just stands around the chicken coop staring at them and barking as they cluck in fear (I assume it’s in fear what else would it be). I don’t know how worried I should be because my family don’t take it seriously and just laugh it off because the dog is easily scared and runs off when you throw something in its direction so they don’t view it as a threat and just say “well the dog is just curious and your chickens are in their coop it won’t do anything” but I don’t know I am actually terrified for my chickens which leads me to the question: how do I know if my coop is dog safe and how can I make it more dog safe are there any websites with the type of fence you guys would recommend ? I suck at building stuff my dad built their whole coop so I can’t do anything super complex and definitely not electric fences but everything else is on the table.

The current fence is plastic ish and green not iron fence for context and yes it has a roof and everything so nothing can get in like that but I am still so paranoid.

Please post pictures of your coop/run from several angles.
Ignore the extra stuff laying around I’ve been trying to add extra net bits for safety measures and cover up any “holes” since this morning so it’s a bit messy.

Attachments

• IMG_5262.jpeg
    IMG_5262.jpeg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Yes we need a picture of your set up.
Would your parent go speak to your neighbor about keeping their dog off your property? What Country are you in? Is your neighbor aware that they would be liable IF their dog was to kill your chickens?
They already told us the dog has been escaping because their kids forgot to close the fence and that it wasn’t on purpose because most times they keep the dog in check, as for country I am in Sweden. And i think they are aware that it’s against the law if the dog were to cause any harm but even the dog running off into someones garden can be enough to call the cops on them but the reason I haven’t called the cops on them is because they didn’t do it to us when we had roosters with our backyard chickens for months disturbing the neighbours (and no it was not on purpose or to be a bad neighbour we were just struggling to find a home for them at the time). So there’s that..

They already told us the dog has been escaping because their kids forgot to close the fence and that it wasn’t on purpose because most times they keep the dog in check, as for country I am in Sweden. And i think they are aware that it’s against the law if the dog were to cause any harm but even the dog running off into someones garden can be enough to call the cops on them but the reason I haven’t called the cops on them is because they didn’t do it to us when we had roosters with our backyard chickens for months disturbing the neighbours (and no it was not on purpose or to be a bad neighbour we were just struggling to find a home for them at the time). So there’s that..
Understand about being "good neighbors" ... Same situation here, neighbor's got a bunch of dogs & now "fighting" Roos. My yard is fenced but chickens do fly, so they are "confined" to any 8x12x7 Chicken House & I put up a privacy "screen" on that side, prevention. We "discuss" issues and so far all's well.

The material you have wrapped for surround, is plastic? IF it is, the dogs could tear through that easily. Do the dogs come from all exposed sides, or just one? Do they come often? I understand your concern, I'd be too.

Unless you could replace the plastic with wire netting, or at least over it. Another idea is maybe plant some thick brush around to act as a barrier? Since you've been able to scare the dogs off, that works ... The noise/movement of the chickens is "exciting" and I'm sure the dogs would "chase"not intending on hurting. Hopefully in time the dogs will loose interest :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom