What is the best broody and momma breed

UBkevy

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Buffalo
I need to start having chickens that hatch out eggs. So i need to find the best, most consistent and easiest to work with broody hen. Soooo what should i get

I've had really good luck with Bantam Cochins & Silkies. They make awesome Mothers and mine have been very consistent in both laying and brooding their eggs.

Good Luck and enjoy your adventure!

joni

previous answer probably the best..
I have a marans, speckled sussex and austrolorp all setting on the same nest right now, sooooooooooooooo....
hu.gif

Have sussex that just hatched a clutch and anothr spash marans about due........
My marans set like crazy last year also..................

Last edited:
I have a Black Cochin, just one year old this month, and she's just gone broody for the fourth time. I knew she would just keep going broody every six weeks unless I just gave in and let her be a mama. So I began allowing her conjugal visits with the Black Cochin roo right after her last broody spell, and I saved all of her fertilized eggs for this fourth occasion.

She began sitting on twelve eggs today. (It would have been about seventeen or eighteen, but I rotated the older eggs out, replacing them with newer eggs, keeping the number at twelve.) I chose my Cochin above the Wyandottes, who are also broody fiends, because she's so gentle in her broody temperament. I figured she'd also be a gentle mother hen and she wouldn't be angry when I want to pick up and cuddle her babies.

Cochins can be depended on to regularly go broody. Not much guess work and hope involved if you want a broody hen.

i am thinking bantams just because these birds will be in a coup set up to be a nusery and kept just to be moms. There for smaller birds to eat less. how many large eggs can a silkie hatch out? I also need to design the perfect nursery to keep hens broody and with a ton of roosting space for younger birds.

I will never get wyndottes again I just culled my 3 SLW because they have been kicking the crap out of my 12 week old chicks killing 1 today and possible crippling another

If you're designing a broody coop, you might want to consider doing what I did. I wanted to conserve space, but make the nest boxes safe and friendly for baby chicks. So I chose a corner and built stacked nests, in a stair-step fashion. The first nest is the largest and is just up three inches from the floor. The next nest above it is set back a few inches so that it resembles a stair and can be accessed by hopping up from the first nest. Then I added a third, the smallest, above that one. This way I can accommodate three broodies and their broods, and the youngsters can safely get up and down by hopping from each stair-step nest box. I put a lattice on the side away from the wall so babies won't fall out of the boxes. If they fall from one nest box to the one below, it's just a few inches into the wood shavings.

A perch runs along the length of one wall. The entire broody coop is just five feet by four feet.

Back
Top Bottom