What is the best incubator?

Hi! I have a Little Giant with fan and turner that has successfully incubated hundreds and hundreds of eggs since I plugged it in it Oct, '06. Every fertile egg I set in it grows well.
smile.png

Lisa

i HAVE THE GENESIS 1588 WITH AUTO EGG TURNER.....i LIKE IT BUT WOULD ALSO LIKE TO GET THE R-COM PRO 20 OR THE SPORTSMAN MODEL..i AM BECOMING A HATCH - A - HOLIC!

Quote:
I'd like about 10 of those!

That's what it seems like I have atm!!! I have a total of 7 hens, 3 have babies, one is hatching, and one is setting!! I am not getting very many eggs at all!!
Oh btw, I have a LG still air with auto turner, which is very inespensive, I have done most everything wrong, and still have almost 100% hatch!!

We started with a GQF Hovabator and found it was to sensitive to changes in room temp for our liking, every time you looked at it the temp was different.

We also have a Brinsea octogon 40 and it has the same problem.

Our house isn't drafty but we have the heat/cool thermostat set on a timer. During the day when nobody is home it can be 10 degrees higher or lower in temp and the smaller 'bators don't do well with that kind of temp. change.

We also have 2 GQF Sportsman and they are by far the best incubators to use. You can hatch wooden eggs in those things. When the birds are first laying in the spring and fertility is at it's highest 100% hatches are common. We have the auto water bucket so all you have to do is keep that about 1/2 full- no fuss no muss.

The only thing I don't like about the "new model" sportsman is it doesn't come with egg racks. (you set the egg trays right on the turner) With the old model you put two egg trays in the rack and slide it in so it was easy to get to the back egg tray.

They are pricey but we were able to pay for ours in less than 6 months thru chick sales.

Steve in NC

Yes the GQF sportman, started with one up to 6. great for most eggs. Maybe even woodens eggs, but not for peafowl ,and parrots.

I use mine for peafowl with a few changes.

Get used ones on ebay for about 200 to 300. They last for years.
In this case used in good shape are as good as new.

Better than paying over a 100 for Styrofoam with turners.

Better incubators out there,but lots more money. Depend what kind of eggs your hatching. Like a few parrot eggs you need those small high dollar ones.

Go with the Sportsman all the way. I love mine for lots of successful hatches. when you sit down and do the math, it's worth it for what you'll get out of it in hatches and sales. costs us about $40 per month to run it on electric.
for smaller & special batches, I'll fire up my 1588 &
I use my little giants as spare brooders along with my handmade bator(thank u miss prissy)

I got the R-COM 20. I used it on my last hatch of quail and love it.
I also have the LG ( well 3 of them) and had a much better hatch rate with the R-COM.
The LG will hold twice as many eggs though.

I have a little gaint with turner and fan and heat with humidity control have yet too work tried (4) times watching closely now i am trying without the turner marking the eggs top and bottom turning by hand.,

We just bought a Little Giant 11300 w/turner & fan. What are your thoughts? We are very new to raising chickens and want to have chicks. What should the temp & humidity be the first 18 days and the last 3 days? We have 9 adult hens (wellsummer, americauna, leghorn, redstar, auracauna & two Roos: Blk Copper Maran & Cream Legbar.

Back
Top Bottom