What is the dosage for fenbendazole?

I think that was part of what confused me and made me second guess what I was reading in previous posts - that birds actually do get more per lb! Seemed counter intuitive at first ;-)

Thanks again!
big_smile.png

I think that was part of what confused me and made me second guess what I was reading in previous posts - that birds actually do get more per lb! Seemed counter intuitive at first ;-)

Thanks again!
big_smile.png
Amoxicillin is another one... dogs and gets get something like 12 mg per pound, but birds get 57 mg per pound.

-Kathy

Hi everyone! :D
Does anybody know the dosage for fenbendazole 0.5% in pellets for bantam chickens?
Thank you

@KariBunny , welcome to BYC!

Do they need to be dewormed? If so, what worms do they have? The amount of pellets they need depends on the type of worms they have.

-Kathy

Baytril is illegal for use in poultry. It isn't a "harsh" antibiotic, just used for a different spectrum of bacteria. Panacur is also off label in poultry but I use it for mine. The amounts above are a good starting point. Buy the 100mg/kg panacur goat/sheep dewormer at Tractor Supply if you want to use this dosage.

Baytril is illegal for use in poultry. It isn't a "harsh" antibiotic, just used for a different spectrum of bacteria. Panacur is also off label in poultry but I use it for mine. The amounts above are a good starting point. Buy the 100mg/kg panacur goat/sheep dewormer at Tractor Supply if you want to use this dosage.
Welcome to BYC!

It's true that Baytril is banned for use in poultry, but many people still use it, myself included.
big_smile.png

Tractor Supply sells Safeguard for Goats (100 mg/ml), is that what meant?

If your chicken is a small breed such as a banty, silkie...yes, 1/4cc safeguard liquid goat wormer orally, then repeat dosing again in 10 days.
The second dosing will kill worms hatched from eggs missed by the first dosing.

How long is this good for? I read somewhere that it was good for a year but wanted to double-check.

How long is this good for? I read somewhere that it was good for a year but wanted to double-check.

If you mean how long is the medication good for before expiration date, that should be on the bottle.
If you mean how long protection lasts after dosing the chicken, then there is no one answer to that. Too many variables. Many people are able to worm once or twice a year and it is sufficient to control parasites in their flock. Others may have to do 3 or 4 times a year. It just depends on the worm load in your environment. The medication kills the worms that are in the chicken. It does not kill the eggs, which is why usually you do two doses 10 days apart. First dose kills living worms, second gets any remaining eggs that hatch. The bird can pick them back up at any time from the environment. The medication does not provide future protection. They scratch and peck, ingest an egg, and the cycle starts again. Infected birds shed the eggs in their droppings and the eggs can survive a very long time in the soil. You will have to determine how often you need to worm based on your flock and the parasite load in your environment. Hope that answers your question.

I bought the Safe Guard equine paste to treat my chicken for Gape worm and have been reading about it all night but should I put the paste on her skin behind her neck or in her mouth. Just wondering if it is safe for paste in her mouth?

Back
Top Bottom