What is the fastest groing chicken breed other than cornish cross?

Most dual purpose breeds are slow growers. I believe Freedom Rangers/Label Rouge might be fast though?
idunno.gif

A good strain of Delawares may be what you are looking for. Delawares were the popular meat bird, and a Delaware x New Hampshire cross was the favored dinner bird until the Cornish X came onto the scene.

Let me emphasis that it is a _good_ strain of Delawares. We're talking about a flock that would be more expensive to start, but would quickly pay for itself in quality. The hatchery Delawares I have come across have been too narrow, flighty, and slender to really impress people. They can be used for the dinner table - and I'm sure that many people who have ordered them are happy. But they would be blown away if they had the real deal.

Dorkings are another really nice table bird, though they are even harder to get into than Delawares. White Rocks grow fast, too. I've been pleasantly surprised when I ordered White Rocks from hatcheries in the past. They are usually the first to feather out and will tower over the other breeds during the first few weeks. While I doubt they are as nice as proper heritage strains, it does look like the hatcheries have managed to maintain a really fast growing production bird. Some of the White Rocks I ordered were from Meyer Hatchery, and if you aren't looking at spending a small fortune then I'd recommend them.

Barred Rocks and New Hampshires also do well. Beyond that you're looking at nice birds that you select because they are pretty or because you prefer their other qualities.

I feel the word/term DP Dual Purpose is over used and over rated as there really are not any more true Dual purpose birds around these day's, the term was used back before the time of factory farms and the demolition of the term DP by mass Hatcheries.

WTS I think a good line of White Rocks is your best bet.

AL

The following traditional table chicken hybrid crosses will grow in 8 to 10 weeks, are broad breasted. Most have white feathers and skin for a clean carcass and white skin.

• Light Sussex x White Wyandotte
An excellent table chicken but care must be taken in selecting the breeders so the breast bone of the offspring is not too high. Care should also be taken in selecting the White Wyandotte hens, they must not have any black in the legs in order to get good white fleshed table bird. These are fast growing birds that are short legged, carrying lots of meat. Feathers are white with the odd black fleck. Almost all of these birds will be white fleshed.

• White Wyandotte X Light Sussex
Take care in selecting the White Wyandotte Cocks, they must not have any black in the legs in order to get good white fleshed table bird. Some chicks will have a yellow skin but other than this, the resulting birds are much the same as the Light Sussex X White Wyandotte cross mentioned above.

• Indian Game (Cornish) X Rhode Island Red
This produces a yellow skinned bird which can be greatly enhanced in color by feeding maize and allowing access to fresh green grass. The Rhode Island Red is a fast growing breed which dominates the slower growing Indian Game. Indian Game cocks should be at least a year old so that fertility is high. Since Rhode Island Reds are prolific layers, there is never any shortage of hatching eggs.

• Indian Game (Cornish) X Sussex on Light Sussex
This is a second cross that was once very popular to produce a very meaty white fleshed table bird. The first cross results in slow growth but the second results in very fast growth.

Chris

I really like BR but i bought some from this guy at "Chick day" yes i know i should have but i could help myself and it must have been the strain but they have also grown slow..I think i might look into the delware

Quote:
I know it's an old thread but that is very good info. I just want to clarify the 4th cross here, if someone can tell me, what does it mean by "Sussex on Light Sussex"? Does it mean any other breed of sussex like speckled or buff etc crossed with light sussex?

It's good to come across these crosses, as I had already narrowed down my flock to RIR, Light Sussex (we don't really have delawares in UK) and Wyandottes as being the most useful dual purpose breeds for sustainability (meat, eggs and broodiness), but the issue was always meat was a slow process. But if putting an indian game roo over them speeds things up to 10 weeks, even 12 weeks, this is great news.

Back
Top Bottom