What is the ideal humidity for hatching in an incubator?

QUESTIONS:::::

I did my first hatch Feb 20, and I have NO pips and NO ChIcks...someone said my air cells weren't big enough for day 21 I kept my humidty at 50-55%...1-18 and tried to get it about 60-65 for 18-21...im scared to try another batch in fear ill kill them all again.....I did 9 eggs and NONE hatched.... ( I have a little giant bator circulated fan was at 99.5 I have little reptile humidity gage from petssmart and my thermometer was on the grey rack with the eggs but not on them...we candled ay 18 and saw movement and were all excited and now nothing and its day 23......
In my opinion your humidity was to high on the first 18 days and a little low on the last 3. Some of the eggs you candled looked like "quitters". Why?? I do not know-----There are Sooooooo many reasons why it could have happened.

Did you use a turner on manually turned them?
Did you stop turning them on day 18?
Did you open the incubator on day 19/20/21 to add water and check on things?

It's a 48 quart with, I think 60mm fan. The lights stay on bout 25 seconds. How long should they stay on? Soon as I can I'll drop the watts.
Thanks for your help.

It's a 48 quart with, I think 60mm fan. The lights stay on bout 25 seconds. How long should they stay on? Soon as I can I'll drop the watts.
Thanks for your help.
I would want the bulbs to slowly heat it up to thermostat cut off. I had rather they run 5 minutes and stay off a few minutes that to come on so hot and dump so much heat in it at one time----You will just have to make sure you do not drop to low where the heat can not get up to 100 +/-. Just saying if 2 25 watts will heat it up---I would go that way-----slow steady heat-----not a lightning bolt---LOL

Last edited:
Lol. It was what I had at house lol. I didn't know which way would've been better..faster heat up or slower.
I finally got round to timing it. Comes on for 51 secs & stays off 3.33 mins

Originally Posted by Widderpincess12

QUESTIONS:::::

I did my first hatch Feb 20, and I have NO pips and NO ChIcks...someone said my air cells weren't big enough for day 21 I kept my humidty at 50-55%...1-18 and tried to get it about 60-65 for 18-21...im scared to try another batch in fear ill kill them all again.....I did 9 eggs and NONE hatched.... ( I have a little giant bator circulated fan was at 99.5 I have little reptile humidity gage from petssmart and my thermometer was on the grey rack with the eggs but not on them...we candled ay 18 and saw movement and were all excited and now nothing and its day 23......

Have you read the learning center articles pertaining to incubation? Did you calibrate your thermometer to 100*? I recommend a dry hatch: my goal is to keep humidity around 30% until lock down, then increase to 60 - 65%. I keep an eye on air cell size as well. The 30% gives me some wiggle room to be able to adjust up or down prior to lock down. The ice test for a thermometer is fine and good. But a thermometer that is accurate at 32* may not necessarily be accurate at 100*. I like to calibrate using a medical grade thermometer in a cup of 100* water, that gives me accuracy at the crucial temp range. I lay my thermometer right on top of my eggs. (If it is a bulb type) Also, even with a fan, you may find that you have some warm and cold spots in your LG. I have a home made bator, and find that even with fan, I have to put in some foil baffles to direct the air flow, still have 1 - 2 degrees difference between warm and cool areas, so rotate eggs through all areas, and monitor temp in all areas.

I started my first hatch ever last night. I have a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with automatic turner. My question for right now is about whether I need to do something about the humidity. I filled the center trough as directed but my humidity is still showing at 63%. Do I need to open it up some to let out some humidity or will it be alright until it goes down on its own? I have it full with 41 eggs in it if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
I started my first hatch ever last night. I have a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with automatic turner. My question for right now is about whether I need to do something about the humidity. I filled the center trough as directed but my humidity is still showing at 63%. Do I need to open it up some to let out some humidity or will it be alright until it goes down on its own? I have it full with 41 eggs in it if that makes any difference.
Just throw your Humidity meter away and follow the instructions----I hatched many times using that type incubator and never owned a humidity meter. But to answer your question----No---you should not open it to let some out----If You feel your Humidity reading is correct---accurate---then you need to reduce the "water surface"---not open and close the bator to reduce it.

Welcome to BYC! Does it have vents? maybe try opening them and see if the humidity drops.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom