What is the smallest breed of goat?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I was thought it was pygmy and nigerian, but today while looking for a pair of pet goats I saw a trio of super tiny goats.. Not sure if they were pygmies. They were brownish tan, fluffy, stubby, round shaped, and were the same size as my 4 month old Queensland heeler puppy. That was the parents, the baby was smaller than my dog. I don't have pictures today but tomorrow when I go back to the farmer I can get pictures.
If they are pygmies then they look much smaller than they do in pictures. Both buck and doe had horns too.

It is quite possible that the parents and also the offspring are undersized because of health reasons. High cocci and worms loads can inhibit healthy growth. Also, if they weren't properly nourished while they were growing, they might be stunted...

It is quite possible that the parents and also the offspring are undersized because of health reasons. High cocci and worms loads can inhibit healthy growth. Also, if they weren't properly nourished while they were growing, they might be stunted...

The guy has pretty clean conditions and pretty healthy animals. He was feeding them grain and alfalfa. I bought an 8 month old cow from him before for meat, no problems there.

Oh and they're not his goats. Not originally. When I went there last time for the cow he didn't have them. Now he has a bunch of baby goats and the trio. So someone else must have fed them wrong.
There are la mancha goats but I'm not sure if I want to get those. Do they get big? He has all bucklings in some pretty patterns and colors, if I decide on the la mancha bucklings I will get them castrated. I'm just not too sure though.

What does it mean when a goat makes a "PUH" noise at you? My mom heard it from an older goat and thought it farted. Well, I got close to the bucklings and one got close, went "PUH" with it's lips or something, and then walked away. Sounds like the raspberry noise ya make when you stick your tongue out.
Also the goat I'm getting got banded so I won't be taking him home until he is feeling better.

He's in the front, tan color
644225_493564774025333_125023653_n.jpg
31454_493559407359203_1680779382_n.jpg

That sound is kind of a sound that randy little bucks make. Since he was just banded, the hormones making him do that should wear off soon enough. Bucks make all sorts of strange noises, they snort, meep, sound like a machine gun, grunt, and basically do whatever. That kind of raspberry blowing sound is just one of their "hey pretty lady, look over here!" noises. I've never heard my wether make it, but my buck, oh yes.

Ohh I see. Well he better be a sweetie when I bring him home. I do have 2 questions though. How old does he look? Farmer said about 2 months but it was not originally his goat so I'd like to be sure.. What is his color called? I'm guessing it's a solid, not agouti or random marking, so solid.. Tan? Solid diluted brown?

Back
Top Bottom