What is the specific reason roosters are not allowed?

p.s. Also, with the high stupidity/obnoxiousness level of America today, if every town allowed roosters, there would be well-meaning morons who would take in unwanted roosters as "rescues". The neighbors would then be subjected to the crowing of 27 roosters who were also fighting and tearing each other to pieces.

p.s. Also, with the high stupidity/obnoxiousness level of America today, if every town allowed roosters, there would be well-meaning morons who would take in unwanted roosters as "rescues". The neighbors would then be subjected to the crowing of 27 roosters who were also fighting and tearing each other to pieces.
That makes a lot of sense! There's so many irresponsible pet owners, and inconsiderate people in general.
Also, a friend who has been raising chickens for years said that he wouldn't want roosters because they would bother his hens and create more problems in the coop.

Roosters are not allowed here either, though our city is more lenient when it comes to chicken keeping laws than many other places. The other day my son and I were discussing this same question about why roosters are not allowed. While I can understand that many people won't want to hear them crowing at 5 in the morning, I'd rather hear a natural sound like a rooster than an idiot neighbour playing music till 2 am, which is exactly the reason my son and I were having this discussion in the first place - lack of sleep thanks to that, and we live in a pretty nice neighbourhood where one would think people have more consideration for each other (lol, sorry for the rant!). I remember going to the country for the summer as a child. This was in Eastern Europe where many homes had poultry, but were pretty close to neighbours, and hearing roosters in the morning was actually a pleasant childhood memory. Oh well... We just now got a flock of 5 chicks. The store owners said they are all hens, but they can't guarantee it 100%. We are all getting attached to them, and I hope none will turn out to be roosters. It'd be heartbreaking to get rid of any of them.

I am with you on that. There are a lot more city/people sounds that more annoying than a rooster. Then again, I'm not much of a people person lol.

I could definitely see that, although the laws could be written to only allow so many roosters (per # of hens and/or sq ft of land, etc).

That makes a lot of sense! There's so many irresponsible pet owners, and inconsiderate people in general.
Also, a friend who has been raising chickens for years said that he wouldn't want roosters because they would bother his hens and create more problems in the coop.

most of the laws we have are redundant.. but they are there for a reason.. and that reason was most likely due to some idiots

like here with the temperature in the 100's.. you got parents who will forget their kids in the car..

so there's a law for this and you will be going to jail for it

Last edited:
And females usually don't crow, they cackle, usually after they lay an egg -- there's a difference.
I have a 5-year-old Black Australorp hen that crows. -right before sunrise she hops down from the roost, marches to the coop door, and belts out several loud, legitimate crows. -startled me the first time I heard it. (She also crows during the day from time to time. - will jump up on a chair arm, throw her head back, and let it rip!) Hens are legal here, but not roosters and it is due to the noise. -worried that we will be reported as having a roo.....even though we don't.
barnie.gif
I do understand that living in a residential neighborhood, with close neighbors, presents challenges regarding noise levels. We have complaints about dogs barking and folks mowing their lawns too early regularly around here. I think reasonable consideration should be shown, given the close proximity of homes. (and sometimes, if people are "too" sensitive to sound - then living not-so-close to neighbors might be a better option.

Last edited:

That would be a very modern feminist/PC interpretation. A rooster would keep control of the flock, a modern interpretation of that would be "he is bothering" the hens, when in reality he is just the boss, roosters are not necessary but people who are actually experienced often prefer the flock dynamic of having a single rooster in charge rather than a all hen pecking order where there are more likely to be challenges.
Modern society thinks everything should be done by committee and nobody should be boss.

Please don't take my comments as sexist, I work for a company with one of the world's top paid female CEOs and she does a great job.

Now on the irresponsible pet owners, absolutely.

I have a young polish rooster that started crowing a couple weeks ago, volume is low and I keep him in the corner of the yard farthest from the neighbors, trying to collar him to keep him quiet and the one neighbor I have spoken to about it sounds like he would hate for me to get rid of it just because of a little noise, we are zoned Agricultural. I had some Maran roosters that were briefly loud enough I had to deal with it, but the only person to complain was the woman with the forever barking black lab.............

The friend of mine who said he wouldn't want a rooster because he'd be bothering the chickens is actually a far cry from being a feminist lol. But I can see why you thought his idea was feminist. I don't personally have any experience at all with raising chickens, it is my first adventure. But from what I've read roosters are great at warning hens of danger and defending them, which sounds to me like a good reason for having one.

I, too, am not a people person. And I am totally with the person who said that people have a way of ruining your faith in them.

Back
Top Bottom