What is the strangest thing your chickens ate? Mine just ate crawfish Monica and aligator tail

Heckle & Jeckle, sister Silver Laced Wyandottes, tussled over a dead toad that had started to rott! Jeckle got it and started running around the yard with it dangling from its beak by one foot....then Heckle got it by another foot and took off with it. They spent half an hour back and forth. By the time they were done, both had full crops and were happier than hogs on ice!
tongue.gif

Heckle & Jeckle, sister Silver Laced Wyandottes, tussled over a dead toad that had started to rott! Jeckle got it and started running around the yard with it dangling from its beak by one foot....then Heckle got it by another foot and took off with it. They spent half an hour back and forth. By the time they were done, both had full crops and were happier than hogs on ice!
tongue.gif

a lot of people are talking about frogs, come to think of it I never see any in our yard anymore

Mine love pasta, rice, cheese, especially! Yohgurt, eggs, watermelon, sardines,salmon, well all fish, any meat leftovers, grapes, berries, corn, vegemite or peanut butter sandwiches!! Any bug or spider, very happy if they find a centipede, good!.. Favourite thing is mealworms and crickets. Also they seem to go crazy for wild bird seed!

mine love meal worms ,crickets, and June bugs as well, in fact mealworms is how I get them in coop easily

I flour and fry the gizzards hearts and livers, the wife and kids wont eat them. The gizzards are tough, but anything is good with a few beers!
I saved and froze the necks and am going to make some chinese chicken neck egg drop soup this winter. I'll probably be the only one eating that too.
I love liverwurst and have tried to make it with deer liver, not so good.
A guy at work gave me a recipee for it using deer liver, deer heart, and chicken livers, and smoking it. EXCELENT!! The chicken liver helped a lot and smoking it (after it was cooked) lent a entirely new element to the flavor, very good.
I LOVE chicken gizzard! Another reason why I can't believe I didn't get it from those cockerels!
he.gif
I had a lot going on when I butchered them and made too fast of a job of it.

The soup sounds really good, and you don't have to share!

What was wrong with the deer liverwurst as far as taste goes?

Smoking is a great idea.

We usually eat the heart and liver the day we get a buck. I slice it all up in a big casserole pan with tons on sliced onions, garlic, mushrooms, white wine and gluten free cream of mushroom soup) and bake it forever. It's delicious, but the kids won't eat it!
idunno.gif

after reading this thread I realized I had leftover spaghetti so i took it out to our 4 girls that evening. Big mistake, they turned their beaks up and ran away. The next morning when I let them out into their run none of them went near it. Sigh.... then it started to rain and rained all day. That was really gross and when I locked them up for the night I figured I would have to clean it up in the morning. This morning when I let them out they ate every bit of that soggy mess. Eeew.
barnie.gif
Maybe they were full the first night or just hated the red sauce that the rain washed away.

black bug feeding frenzy.

I have a stackable block garden that I noticed bugs crawling on it at night. So the next day I removed a couple, many many black bugs . I got my outdoor vacuum and removed all the blocks vacuuming up hundreds of bugs and many centepedes. I would then dump the bucket and the chickens went crazy.

The last side I got smarter and just let the chickens be close. They would snatch up all the bugs so fast I barely had time to put the block down.

What was wrong with the deer liverwurst as far as taste goes?
When I made it the first time the texture was not good (and I ground it three times through fine plate), flavor, not the best. I didn't add any fat and vacuum sealed logs of it and boiled to cook it.
The guy at work made it with (can't find the recipe) somewhere around equal parts I think, deer liver, heart, chicken livers, and salt pork, or pork fat, all the spices, and stuffed it in beef middles. He boiled the liver for ten minutes and then cooled it before grinding. Simmered them until 150 and then smoked them for five hrs. as a after thought. I think the added chicken livers and pork fat made the texture and taste more like real liverwurst. It was really good. He made bread and butter pickled salmon once that was awesome (raw but he said the vinegar cooked it?).
I sometimes fry the deer hearts, but usually I pickle them (cooked first) last year I pickled several deer tongues (left them whole) with the hearts, they were a hit with the guys at a Superbowl party (the women said we were disgusting).
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom