What is this “free rare breed”?

She is definitely a chicken, not a quail.
Oh, I wasn’t saying she was a quail. I was just saying I thought her body shape and size was closer to quail. I actually think she carries herself, and acts more like a chicken and her facial features are more like a chicken.

It WILL be interesting to see if she lays colored eeggs. These chickens will be six months on Jan. 2nd. So in about a months we should be getting eggs from our pullets.

I think its called a pink walnut comb. Feet are more light, yellow orange.
View attachment 1609886

The thing that keeps stopping me thinking she is an EE is how long it's neck is ...
View attachment 1609874
... and how short & round her neck & body are.
View attachment 1609884

Here is a quail pic, that I found online. Still not exact. But, I think closer than an EE.
View attachment 1609875
She has a pea comb. As for her body shape and neck length, easter eggers come in many different shapes and sizes due to not being purebred.
EEs have green legs, not yellow. Phoenix have single combs, as do Dorkings. Silver laced Wyandotte? Or an odd EE with yellow legs. Waiting for the color of her eggs!
Mary
OK SO I LOOKED AT A FEW PICTURES ONLINE TO SEE WHAT SHE MAY POSSIBLY BE. SHE IS ODDLY ENOUGH A MIXED BREED SO I WOULDNT SAY RARE BUT IT COULD BE A POSSIBILITY OF A SILVER LACED WYANDOTTE OR A SILVER LACED COCHIN AND SOMETHING ELSE. ATTACHED IS THE PICS I SAW. HER NECK COLORATION MATCHES BOTH SO WHO KNOWS. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL EITHER WAY. View attachment 1609896 View attachment 1609897
She has the typical EE color pattern, pea comb, and beard. I'm confused as to why you think she's silver laced?

I think you guys are overthinking it, there is no doubt in my mind that she is an EE. Also, her body shape and tail and posture are all weird for a normal chicken, she is either deformed or sick. EEs have no standard, they can have any colored legs, not just green that's only first generation EEs which McMurray's are not. They can lay any color of eggs too, not just green and blue.
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 11.47.16 PM.png

This bird also clearly has a beard and muffs, not sure why OP said she did not, you can see it in the picture. Not all EEs have a beard and muffs but it is common. Nothing is true for every EE, they are pretty much just mixed breed mutts that have the potential to lay green and blue eggs.

And yes, EEs are not at all rare, they are one of the most common and cheap breeds but that does not mean they are a bad thing, they have good temperments and usually lay well. And McMurray does not label them as a rare breed, actually, as the 2019 season approaches McMurray has no breeds labeled as rare on their website. Here is what it says in the 2018 catalog, word for word, about the free chick.

Surprise Gift, Yours Free!
Beautiful and Unusual - A real thrill and surprise is in store for you with one of these. Crested varieties, speckled beauties, blue chicks, huge giants, feather-legged exotics, spangled, and belted Old World Fowl are just some of the different varieties we have to choose from in this offer. You will be amazed and delighted with one of these wonderful chicks. Order Now And Get One Of These Chicks Added Free To Your Regular Order. Sorry, we are not able to make or keep a record of kind included. Offer valid with baby chicken orders only.

They do say beautiful and unusual but that is because you can argue that literally any breed is beautiful and unusual. McMurray is pretty much cutting out all rare labels to avoid conflicts with customers. For the entire 2018 season they had a category for rare breeds on their website that was filled with many common breeds. The 2019 season has started for them and they updated their website to remove that category, birds that were previously in it like the Egyptian fayoumi, GLW, WLRC, and Silver Leghorn have been moved to another category. They do still say rare in the descriptions of some breeds but I am sure that will soon be changed too, btw EE is not one of them.
Screenshot 2018-12-07 at 12.11.53 AM.png
Here is the breed list from McMurray, no more "rare breed" labels in this hatchery...

We Need Jed Jackson, Gray Farms, Brahma Chicken 5000 to give their opinions.
Well no, not really... McMurray only has 3 breeds that this could be. Easter Eggers, Whiting True Blues, and Whiting True Greens are the only 3 breeds that do not have a standard color and can have muffs and a beard. There is not really any difference between the 3 either, besides the egg color apparently but the reviews of those breeds seem to disagree. You guys can go and look through the breeds and see if I missed another mutt but i'm pretty sure there was only the 3. The picture of the EE in their catalog actually has similar silver feathers and a dark feathered chest, like the OP's bird.
47450899_2271464696419914_3548347700434960384_n.jpg

I think you guys are overthinking it, there is no doubt in my mind that she is an EE. Also, her body shape and tail and posture are all weird for a normal chicken, she is either deformed or sick. EEs have no standard, they can have any colored legs, not just green that's only first generation EEs which McMurray's are not. They can lay any color of eggs too, not just green and blue.
View attachment 1609915
This bird also clearly has a beard and muffs, not sure why OP said she did not, you can see it in the picture. Not all EEs have a beard and muffs but it is common. Nothing is true for every EE, they are pretty much just mixed breed mutts that have the potential to lay green and blue eggs.

And yes, EEs are not at all rare, they are one of the most common and cheap breeds but that does not mean they are a bad thing, they have good temperments and usually lay well. And McMurray does not label them as a rare breed, actually, as the 2019 season approaches McMurray has no breeds labeled as rare on their website. Here is what it says in the 2018 catalog, word for word, about the free chick.

Surprise Gift, Yours Free!
Beautiful and Unusual - A real thrill and surprise is in store for you with one of these. Crested varieties, speckled beauties, blue chicks, huge giants, feather-legged exotics, spangled, and belted Old World Fowl are just some of the different varieties we have to choose from in this offer. You will be amazed and delighted with one of these wonderful chicks. Order Now And Get One Of These Chicks Added Free To Your Regular Order. Sorry, we are not able to make or keep a record of kind included. Offer valid with baby chicken orders only.

They do say beautiful and unusual but that is because you can argue that literally any breed is beautiful and unusual. McMurray is pretty much cutting out all rare labels to avoid conflicts with customers. For the entire 2018 season they had a category for rare breeds on their website that was filled with many common breeds. The 2019 season has started for them and they updated their website to remove that category, birds that were previously in it like the Egyptian fayoumi, GLW, WLRC, and Silver Leghorn have been moved to another category. They do still say rare in the descriptions of some breeds but I am sure that will soon be changed too, btw EE is not one of them.
View attachment 1609922 Here is the breed list from McMurray, no more "rare breed" labels in this hatchery...
:goodpost:
I’m sorry if something I said was misleading. I never thought she was silver laced. :confused:
I was referring to the posts of @Folly's place and @KinnaChickie.

Back
Top Bottom