What is this “free rare breed”?

Technically, there aren't any set standards for Easter Eggers, but I must agree that she lacks the trademark hatchery EE characteristics.

Gorgeous! :love

True. However, the Murray McMurray website states Whiting True Blues aren't Easter Eggers, instead their own distinct breed. I don't claim to know anything about them or genetic background, just going off available information. :)

~Alex
I believe whiting true blues are the result of several generations of EE x leghorn crosses. They do not breed true, so they aren't purebred, which makes them mixed breed blue egg layers. This, in my opinion, makes them EEs.

784A99EC-300D-4555-ABE8-EB4705DEDFAA.jpeg

OPs chicken in question kind of looks like a silver gray dorking mix. This is a pic of my SGD from McMurray and the short neck and even coloring looks similar.

Well, it has been over a year since I started this thread. A LOT of water has flowed under the bridge, and our girl, whom my husband named Edith, is definitely one of the Whiting’s True Blue hens. She has a really cool personality. Sometimes the way she comes and looks up at us, she seems to be smarter than your average bird. :D

Last summer, I incubated 24 eggs from, these hens and the rooster. We ended up hatching out 17 birds: 10 pullets and 7 roos. We sold three pullets and lost two for no apparent reason. So we are down to five hens, from which we are getting 3 eggs a day, one of which. Is a fairly dark olive egg, so I’m thinking that Marans rooster got his genes into that hen.

I separated them, and waited a month to start collecting eggs. However, we have young hens who seem to be from different roos in our flock: a black hen, (from the Marans roo?) a red rooster, (looks like a RIR) and a buff hen, (looks a LOT like it was sired by our Buff Orpington rooster). We also have a hen, who has the same stunted looking rear end, with no tail feathers, to speak of. So I’m thinking that Hen is from Edith.

Last edited:
Thank you for the update. Sounds like you are having fun with hatching. :)
Yes, this was my first try at hatching eggs. I figure 17 of 24 is a good number. Although I’m not sure what happened with some of them that didn’t make it. They were fully formed In the egg, but never hatched. :idunno I think there were three of them that did that. I checked temp and humidity several times a day.:confused:

It was kinda funny, what happened when they started hatching. My husband had gone for a cardiac cath and his arteries were so bad, we went straight to the hospital, for a quadruple bypass. :th He was in the hospital for six days, and I stayed with him the whole time. Friends of ours were kind enough to come to the house twice a day to feed the goats, LGDs, chickens and cats (in the house). While Joe was out feeding goats and chickens, Dana was inside feeding cats. All of a sudden she heard birds, and thought a bird had gotten in the house. She went to get Joe, and together they looked for the bird. Eventually, they found the hatching eggs.:eek: I was so caught up in my husband’s recovery, I forgot about the eggs. :oops: Dana and Joe knew nothing about raising baby chicks. So, then I had to to tell Dana where to find the big tub in the barn, and all the other supplies for brooding the chicks. It took 3 days for them all to hatch. She did a great job and really enjoyed watching them every day.

Yes, this was my first try at hatching eggs. I figure 17 of 24 is a good number. Although I’m not sure what happened with some of them that didn’t make it. They were fully formed In the egg, but never hatched. :idunno I think there were three of them that did that. I checked temp and humidity several times a day.:confused:

It was kinda funny, what happened when they started hatching. My husband had gone for a cardiac cath and his arteries were so bad, we went straight to the hospital, for a quadruple bypass. :th He was in the hospital for six days, and I stayed with him the whole time. Friends of ours were kind enough to come to the house twice a day to feed the goats, LGDs, chickens and cats (in the house). While Joe was out feeding goats and chickens, Dana was inside feeding cats. All of a sudden she heard birds, and thought a bird had gotten in the house. She went to get Joe, and together they looked for the bird. Eventually, they found the hatching eggs.:eek: I was so caught up in my husband’s recovery, I forgot about the eggs. :oops: Dana and Joe knew nothing about raising baby chicks. So, then I had to to tell Dana where to find the big tub in the barn, and all the other supplies for brooding the chicks. It took 3 days for them all to hatch. She did a great job and really enjoyed watching them every day.
Glad to hear you husband is okay. That definitely was a priority over hatching eggs. You have some nice friends.

Can she be a silver Penciled rock with Easter Egger that’s what she looks like even though the tail and don’t expect it from hatchery

Back
Top Bottom