What is this bantam rooster?

laircy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
California
Feed store said he was bantam ameraucana, and some of the other roosters that came in the same batch as him did look like that, but this one looks less so. Particularly, I don't know what kind of comb this is.

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Think it's a "strawberry" comb, Ameraucana's have "pea" comb & slate colored legs which yours does. Possibly an Ameraucana mix, how old is he? Someone with more expertise will peep in with their thoughts.

I think he's around 4 months old. What is a strawberry comb? Is it a mix between other kinds of combs? I found out his coloring is called "blue breasted red"

I think he's around 4 months old. What is a strawberry comb? Is it a mix between other kinds of combs? I found out his coloring is called "blue breasted red"

Nope- A strawberry comb is an actual type of comb between a pea comb and a cushion comb. I agree with and commend @ChickNanny13's expertise- he certainly does ring true to a bantam Ameraucana mix!!

Last edited:
It's a 'cushion' comb. It is the result of both a pea comb gene and a rose comb gene. No muffs means that there is no 'true' Ameraucana in him. Cushion combs are actually pretty common in bantam Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom