What is this gray-ish area in the air cell?

Sheriloo3

Songster
Aug 20, 2020
Hello all! I'm looking for some thoughts, as there is something going on in the air cell of this serama chick and I'm not quite sure what it is??

Take a look at the pic. As you can see, today is hatch day so the air cell is a bit crazy looking, as usual. However, there is a shadowy gray spot at the very bottom (or top depending on your prespective) and I've never seen that before. None of the other eggs are like that and I don't recall any other egg I've hatched looking like that.

Any ideas? Is it just a funny discoloration of the shell that I never noticed or is there something else going on that I should be concerned about? I still see movement in the egg. It has not pipped internally yet, though the other 5 have. (At least, not that I can see).

20210411_204244~2.jpg

Hello all! I'm looking for some thoughts, as there is something going on in the air cell of this serama chick and I'm not quite sure what it is??

Take a look at the pic. As you can see, today is hatch day so the air cell is a bit crazy looking, as usual. However, there is a shadowy gray spot at the very bottom (or top depending on your prespective) and I've never seen that before. None of the other eggs are like that and I don't recall any other egg I've hatched looking like that.

Any ideas? Is it just a funny discoloration of the shell that I never noticed or is there something else going on that I should be concerned about? I still see movement in the egg. It has not pipped internally yet, though the other 5 have. (At least, not that I can see).

View attachment 2611472
This is a rotten egg. Sorry 😥. You can tell they've gone bad when they get that discoloration inside. You can leave it if you want but it may explode on the other eggs/hatching chicks.

That egg can't be on hatch day. 3/4 of egg should be dark. Unless it's underdeveloped. As far as the gray area, it looks like some of the egg material leaked out into the air sack. But that's my best guess.
It's definitely hatch day. It's a serama, so its likely that it isn't going to hatch, being as small as it is. The other 5 are better developed than this one and the first one pipped just about 2 hours ago. I've hatched seramas before and this is what some of them look like prior to hatching and they come out just fine. Aside from the spot, that is. It's hard to tell if it's the shell or if it's inside.

Thank you all. I have been looking at it for a few days and I was pretty sure it wasn't moving inside but a couple times I thought I saw movement, so I left it in. I'm not all together sure it wasn't just my imagination though.:barnie

I will likely just move it to the other side of the incubator, just in case, as the rest should be hatching tonight into tomorrow. The first one pipped a couple hours ago, so its game on!!

Wish me luck with the rest, I need some hems for my roos!!! :fl:pop:jumpy

I don't see any veins in that egg. That egg has quit. Its not going to hatch. I'm sorry, glad the others are doing good though!
There actually is veining and signs of life on the other side of the egg. This was just the best view of the gray area. Again, I'm also quite sure it quit a few days ago but I could have sworn I saw movement in it at one point recently, so I left it in. My mind could have been playing tricks on me though.

View attachment 2611472
Dead egg!

Back
Top Bottom