What is this? Need some identification help

Cascade116

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2024
I just noticed one of my French Copper Maran hens wasn’t acting normal. When I caught her, I saw that she had something hanging out of her vent. I was able to pull it out of her vent (which looked normal and fine) and initially thought she managed to pass a really soft egg. When I broke the egg-looking thing open, I saw something that I need help identifying (see attached pictures).

I have only been a chicken keeper for 4 years and have never seen anything like this. Does someone out there know what this is? Is it a parasite? When I broke open the red mass, it was empty. I am so confused. Thanks for any help on this!!

Attachments

• IMG_7888.jpeg
    IMG_7888.jpeg
    955 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7887.jpeg
    IMG_7887.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
I just noticed one of my French Copper Maran hens wasn’t acting normal. When I caught her, I saw that she had something hanging out of her vent. I was able to pull it out of her vent (which looked normal and fine) and initially thought she managed to pass a really soft egg. When I broke the egg-looking thing open, I saw something that I need help identifying (see attached pictures).

I have only been a chicken keeper for 4 years and have never seen anything like this. Does someone out there know what this is? Is it a parasite? When I broke open the red mass, it was empty. I am so confused. Thanks for any help on this!!
Looks to be a lash egg. She may have an internal infection @azygous

The blood clot, was it attached to the other material? Or was it separate? Did you slice into the material? What was the texture/consistency? Like cheese?

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If not, do you have a family vet you use for other pets?

The blood clot, was it attached to the other material? Or was it separate? Did you slice into the material? What was the texture/consistency? Like cheese?

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If not, do you have a family vet you use for other pets?
The red material was separate and not attached. Consistency was not like cheese. It was totally empty and the red material was like skin. I do have antibiotics on hand.

I have doxy and minocycline both 100mg capsules. She is acting and eating normally. I have her separated and gave her water with apple cider vinegar and nutri-drench poultry vitamin.

What is your location? Are you in the US or some other country? How old is this hen?

I would keep in reserve the minocycline for the time being. The material doesn't fit the usual description of lash material (pus), so keep on the watch for any more of it. If it happens again, take a photo of the material intact with a ruler next to it for scale. Then cut it in half and take another photo.

Keep an eye on the hen for any change in behavior. If she passes more such material and she starts behaving sickly, then start her on the minocycine at a fourth of a pill or capsule once a day for five days, 25mg. But hold off for now. This may have been a glitch in her oviduct and it may not be a chronic thing. We've all discovered some very strange stuff left in our nest boxes that never repeated. This could be one of those.

What is your location? Are you in the US or some other country? How old is this hen?

I would keep in reserve the minocycline for the time being. The material doesn't fit the usual description of lash material (pus), so keep on the watch for any more of it. If it happens again, take a photo of the material intact with a ruler next to it for scale. Then cut it in half and take another photo.

Keep an eye on the hen for any change in behavior. If she passes more such material and she starts behaving sickly, then start her on the minocycine at a fourth of a pill or capsule once a day for five days, 25mg. But hold off for now. This may have been a glitch in her oviduct and it may not be a chronic thing. We've all discovered some very strange stuff left in our nest boxes that never repeated. This could be one of those.
I am in NE Oklahoma and the hen is just 10 months old. She only began laying this year. Thank you so much for the detailed questions, instructions, and information. I was just so surprised and perplexed by what I saw…thanks for helping me make sense of it!

I am in NE Oklahoma and the hen is just 10 months old. She only began laying this year. Thank you so much for the detailed questions, instructions, and information. I was just so surprised and perplexed by what I saw…thanks for helping me make sense of it!
Should I keep her separate from her flock? She is one of 21 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom