WHAT IS THIS ON MY CHICK?? IT LOOKS LIKE 2 PEAS UNDER HER SKIN! PLEASE HELP ME! 😣

I just saw your post. Thank you soooo much for your kindness and condolences.
I was absolutely gutted as I’m so invested and a die hard animal lover.

Now we have 3 healthy babies. The newest one is 36 hours old and doing great. All 3 are. Our oldest is 1 1/2 weeks old and growing like a weed!

I just wish they didn’t run away from us because we are with them all the time!
It really hurts…

Blessings,
Amy
How sweet that's sad it really hurts when they don't love you back it took a bit but I believe my chicks adopted me as a mother they love cuddling under my coat and sitting on me they also jump on my hand to come out!! You are definitely a animal lover I'm sure they will come around and love and trust you!

I just noticed that now one of my chicks has what looks like a large green pea under her skin. It’s obviously bothering her because it’s red around it!
ALL THIS STRESS WITH LOSING MY BABY DUCK AND NOW JUST NOTICING THIS IS GOING TO GIVE ME A STROKE!

Their brooder box is in our kitchen and they are spoiled rotten! They are loved and clean and get exercise!
They get vitamins and I clean their box every day!
NOW I JUST SAW THIS!
Dear God, am I cursed?
We adore our animals and I can’t bear to lose another after this morning!
I have not been ready to read the feedback on my duckling yet because we just got home from a wake, but I intend to respond to all who posted.

But now I’m WORRIED SICK TO DEATH OVER MY LITTLE PENELOPE!

What is this awful looking mass????

Thank you in advance for ANY information and if she’s going to die! 💔

Blessings,
Amy
I feel so foolish!
Chickens have pouches I guess, I never knew that! Lol!
Those green lumps are PEAS! Since their skin is so thin and light, you can see right through and those were the peas we had just given them! 🤣🤣🤣

Try approaching your babies from the side at their level rather than thrusting hands at them from overhead. They are prey and are sensitive to anything moving at them from above.
That did the trick! Thank you!
We are always gentle and move slowly, but now we put our hands down and they hop right on!
I really appreciate your help. ❤️❤️❤️

I understand your worries. Baby chicks do that to you. You didn't say where the lumps are located on the chick's body. Photos often do not convey this information as they are two dimensional.

What they look like to me are hematomas. Chicks have extremely thin skin, and if one of the other chicks is pecking at this one, it could have caused bleeding under the skin. I would say it's not that serious unless there's some reason the bleeding doesn't coagulate and continues to bleed. Eventually, the chick's body will absorb the blood and they should disappear on their own.

This is just a guess from seeing the color and shape of the lumps. There very well could be another explanation, but nothing comes to mind.

Is the chick behaving normally? Active? Eating? Pooping?

Watch the chicks and if you see another chick pecking at it, here is my article on dealing with aggressive chicks and what you can do about it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/
wouldn't hematomas be red? These look cystic to me... But i'm so new to this I can't venture much of an opinion. I'm a human RN~

Here's another tip if you discover any cockerels in the herd. They can be paranoid and very easily triggered to acting out if you make sudden and abrupt movements near them. Try to coach yourself and others handling the chickens to be slow and precise in your movements and calm and deliberate in demeanor.

The time a tree fell on my arm as I was chain sawing it down the hematoma was skin colored. It's easy enough to see if any such lump aspirates blood or not.

Back
Top Bottom