what is this on my game-cam?

I've been a hunter, guide, and outdoorsmen all my life. Pictures can be misleading, that said I don't believe that is a fox or coyote. It isn't a Bobcat either. You are not supposed to have cougar in Georgia. But, what ever it is seems to be feline (cat) type, note the rear leg position and the bend in the back. Without being able to know the size of surrounding things seen the picture it is impossible for me to tell how large the animal is. If you were to return to the same area with a yard stick and stand in the same spot as the animal, and take a picture with the camera in the same position as before, one could calculate the size of the animal. and tell if it was a house cat or whatever.

Quote:
I got one for my B-day. Hubby was happy to have a real idea so he didn't have to think too creatively
lol.png
On the plus side, we've only gotten the odd bird, hail storm, neighbor spraying weeds or mowing but its really boring compared to the others posted here. I think its time to move it from the coop area to the back fence by the creek.

Quote:
The OP posted two pictures of crows in the same plane as the animal in question. References list the crow as a max size of 16 inches. If you use that as your scale, the beastie is no more than 40 inches long and around 12-14 inches high at the shoulder. I was pretty sure it was feline at first, but after much discussion and patient postings by Woodmort, I have come to the realization that there are optical illusions and motion at play with a fixed focus night cam in black and white which make the animal appear something other than the most likely visitor--the Grey Fox.

Quote:
Yeah, the second set of photo but not the OP ones. The OP one had the tell-tale stripe down the tail plus was smaller. I think we're dealing with two different animals.

I am 100% in this camp. The first pics are of a different animal than the latest set. I believe the first one is a gray fox.

I also don't think the OP original pics are the same animal as in these latest. The first ones definately show some type of feline, while the latest set are definately fox. I really can't tell if it's just a housecat or something larger------could be some "exotic" wildcat someone was keeping as a pet and got tired of (really don't think it's a cougar, but who knows.........)

Can your trail cam capture video too or only photos?

It would be cool if you could catch it in a video and it would be easier to identify. Hopefully.

What you u have there is a baby mountain lion. Sorry to spoil it for ya with Your dreams of another fox. We have trapped and unfortunetly neighbors have killed mountain lions. Now being that is a cub mommy is probably not to far away. Please contact ur local fish and game. Show them the pictures and let them deal with it humanely.

Oh and someone was talking about the tail here is a pic of a full grown mt lion with the tail:

105187_tumblr_lm55sqqfgo1qa1jvfo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom