What is this predator? **** Coop Cam photo****

The two animals are differnt. The first one looks like a Coati or ring tailed cat like we have here in New Mexico. The second one taken at night is a bobcat. Either one could have done it.

OK! The first pic is a Black Coyote. Apparently they are becoming more plentiful in the area. Looks like somebody's got some hunting to do! The second pic is a Bobcat. But, I still will always wonder what exactly got my poor little guinea's.
sad.png

Looks like a lynx or bobcat to me but I'm in Australia.
It's different to the first pic, first pic looks like a dog with mange
I'm with you on both counts. Thought the first picture was a big cat and the second something, a fox or dog, with mange. Any plans for eradication?
Keep us posted if you learn more.

Not very clear whether there's a long tail or not and, not much to relate to size.... But I've seen quite a few mangy looking small juvenile bears that resemble this (100 labs. or less). It appears that the hair is quite thin on it. I've never seen a 'black' coyote, which it very well may be.

I'd be curious to know what it actually turns out to be.

Oh yes! I have some very avid hunters. These WILL be gone soon and maybe stuffed!! Will post more pics if I get more.
My chickens are in an enclosed coop at night, but I will be adding more features to guarantee their safety. I can't stand the thought that they are out there with these "things" creeping around. Thanks for your replies.

When I went out a few mornings ago, I found what was left of 2 of my Guinea's laying on the ground approx. 6 ft from their sleeping spot. They didn't sleep in the coop with the chickens. They have slept in the trees most of their lives. Anyway, the only thing left was 1 head, 2 beaks, tons of feathers and what appeared to be intestine and it's contents. Our land borders the woods and our chicken coops sit to the back of the farm, closer to the woods than to the house. I have also noticed it looks like something has been walking around on top of the runs. It is made up of some sort of chicken wire fencing and there are areas that seem sunken in. Like something heavy has been walking on it. I haven't seen any tracks anywhere, but I know our woods contain raccoons and foxes. It's possible we could have bobcats, not sure about coyotes or hogs. However, there have been some spotted in our county. We put up a camera back there and have some pictures of both raccoons and foxes, but we can't seem to identify what this one is. I was hoping you guys could help me identify what could have killed my guinea's and could it have been "this thing" in the photo? Would also like to identify "this thing" in the photo so I will know what I might be dealing with. Thanks!
Looks like a fisher cat

Back
Top Bottom