What is too hot to move chicks out?

mtn_bob

Songster
Jul 31, 2019
Republic of Texas
My Coop
My Coop
My chicks are just 6 days old today, so I've got a while. But I'm wondering about moving them from the 78 degrees or so inside to really hot outside (Today June 11 was 107 with 117 THI) Lows are 80 if we're lucky.

Being 6 days old. They should be at a almost 90 degree temp. They should be fine outside as long as there is lots of ventilation. But you mighy need a small fan to cool the coop down.

Being 6 days old. They should be at a almost 90 degree temp. They should be fine outside as long as there is lots of ventilation. But you mighy need a small fan to cool the coop down.
Thanks, they're under a heat lamp now @ about 90 but they'll be off that for a long time before I move them out in 3 weeks or so. I'm planning on taking they out for some "play time" in the mornings when it's only mildly horrible.

Chicks' tolerance for temps above their target warm temp increases as they feather out. Even at 8 weeks, or pre-laying, their tolerance for temps above 80 isn't what an adult's tolerance is. They'll need pans of melting ice blocks and/or puddles in the shade at least. The idea of climatizing them sounds good. Lows near 80 might be OK for a while, you'll have to watch them. The play time in the morning might help with this. You'll definitely keep them in the house during the heat of the day though.

Chicks' tolerance for temps above their target warm temp increases as they feather out. Even at 8 weeks, or pre-laying, their tolerance for temps above 80 isn't what an adult's tolerance is. They'll need pans of melting ice blocks and/or puddles in the shade at least. The idea of climatizing them sounds good. Lows near 80 might be OK for a while, you'll have to watch them. The play time in the morning might help with this. You'll definitely keep them in the house during the heat of the day though.
Thanks, good ideas. I see you know heat. "But it's a dry heat" :)

I move mine out after they dry off and I’m in FL. It doesn’t get as hot as you’re describing (it’s been in the low to mid 90s here over the past couple weeks) but I’ve hatched multiple batches in both hot and cold weather and none of it seems to phase them. Make sure they have shade and ventilation and water always, and they’ll be fine mostly likely.

I do not use a heat lamp, and in hot weather I unplug the heat plate so they can be under it without overheating. They seem to prefer their own body heat cuddling together at night actually. They’re more resilient than we give them credit for.

I move mine out after they dry off and I’m in FL. It doesn’t get as hot as you’re describing (it’s been in the low to mid 90s here over the past couple weeks) but I’ve hatched multiple batches in both hot and cold weather and none of it seems to phase them. Make sure they have shade and ventilation and water always, and they’ll be fine mostly likely.

I do not use a heat lamp, and in hot weather I unplug the heat plate so they can be under it without overheating. They seem to prefer their own body heat cuddling together at night actually. They’re more resilient than we give them credit for.
I figured out brooding them outside helps them. Especially when we have cold winters.

Back
Top Bottom