What is wrong with my Tosca and what to do?

jbudin2000

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 28, 2016
My three year old Barred Rock has gone lame. She cannot walk at all, just falls over. She is eating and drinking but does not appear to be a happy. Calls out day and night. :(
Can this be treated and recovered from?? If not, what's a girls to do, that is humane?

How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Are any other birds sick? Have you done a physical examination? Does the crop feel weird? Any sign of lice or mites? When was the last time she laid an egg? Do you feel an egg around her vent? What does her poo look like? Is she willing to eat or drink? What were the symptoms leading up to her lameness? How old she she? Have you tried any forms of treatment so far?

Honestly based on your limited description her condition does not sound good. When birds are weak and lethargic, or lame as you describe, my fear is a contagious disease. It is good practice to send for a necropsy. Do a google search on your state's livestock necropsy lab, get yourself a box and some freezer packs, and prepare to send her off. Have a game plan if she isn't improving, because it could be in her best interest to put her down.

Can she move her legs if you pick her up to a standing position? Does she try to get up? Make sure that she is close to food and water, and I would feed her twice a day in a small bowl with wet feed, cooked egg, and other things she likes.

Do you think she has been injured. Is her tail position up or down when you stand her up? Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or obstruction? I would also check her for lice or mites. Is she too hot?

This is day three of these symptoms. All other hens are fine. She does not have lice or mites. The last time she laid an egg, hard to say, perhaps a week or two. No egg around her vent, her poo pretty normal. Tail down when I stand her up. This came suddenly.
How does one put a chicken down???

Last edited:
There are different ways to put a chicken down. Cervical dislocation or the broomstick method, severing the head with loppers, or cutting the jugular veins on each side of the neck are some common methods. You can Google humane ways for putting down a chicken and read a few threads.

What is your location? In the US, most states have state vets who can do a necropsy to look for what she may have had.

Can she move her legs if you pick her up to a standing position? Does she try to get up? Make sure that she is close to food and water, and I would feed her twice a day in a small bowl with wet feed, cooked egg, and other things she likes.

Do you think she has been injured. Is her tail position up or down when you stand her up? Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or obstruction? I would also check her for lice or mites. Is she too hot?
She just falls over. We have to prop her between shoes. She does not try to get up but she c an move a little by crawling. She has food and water directly in front of her. Likes wet cat, oyster shell will eat dry too and Ice water because it is extremely hot here in Miami, Florida.

There are different ways to put a chicken down. Cervical dislocation or the broomstick method, severing the head with loppers, or cutting the jugular veins on each side of the neck are some common methods. You can Google humane ways for putting down a chicken and read a few threads.

What is your location? In the US, most states have state vets who can do a necropsy to look for what she may have had.
I cannot do any of those methods but don't want to see her suffer.

Broomstick is probably the easiest for the soft hearted. It's a form of cervical dislocation. Death is so instantaneous that the bird doesn't even know what's happening. No pain. I understand how difficult it is to force yourself to do the deed. I've been there, but in the end my compassion over the quality of life for my bird won out. Again though, I strongly encourage looking into a necropsy. At the very least it will help with closure.

A vet could euthanize her, or if you have a friend or family member who hunts or is a medical person, they might help you.
Thank you all for your input.
We took Tosca to our local Vet and she confirmed it was the correct decision. Tosca was euthanized and buried with all our other beloved deceased pets.

Back
Top Bottom