What ISNT wrong with this chick?!!!

Maybe you think frostbite due to color? These are bresse chicks who have blue legs and feet. They are a grey color now but will turn blue as they age

Maybe you think frostbite due to color? These are bresse chicks who have blue legs and feet. They are a grey color now but will turn blue as they age
No, I think frostbite due to location on the foot and what looks like blister remnants and pus between the toes. That's quite consistent with frostbite in my experience. Lack of entirely black toes is strange, though, so who knows... how long have these symptoms been present?

Bumblefoot is not something I am thinking at this point; that presents as swelling in a location and internalized pus or a plug visible. This seems more scabby and it looks like the skin is starting to lift away from the foot?

Any chance you could get clearer images, including bottoms of the feet?

Also note frostbite can occur at temperatures not much at all below freezing, especially if the bedding is damp and the bird does not roost. Lack of ventilation can contribute too.

I assume we are looking at a wet chick ? they always look skinnier when wet
Yes a full crop will stick out to the side like that .
Bumble foot is usually on the bottom .
If it is swollen he may have injured it ..or look for a cut to see if there may be a infection
It should smell good after ..use a little see if he tolerates it

No, I think frostbite due to location on the foot and what looks like blister remnants and pus between the toes. That's quite consistent with frostbite in my experience. Lack of entirely black toes is strange, though, so who knows... how long have these symptoms been present?

Bumblefoot is not something I am thinking at this point; that presents as swelling in a location and internalized pus or a plug visible. This seems more scabby and it looks like the skin is starting to lift away from the foot?

Any chance you could get clearer images, including bottoms of the feet?

Also note frostbite can occur at temperatures not much at all below freezing, especially if the bedding is damp and the bird does not roost. Lack of ventilation can contribute too.
Yes I will go get him and get better pics

I assume we are looking at a wet chick ? they always look skinnier when wet
Yes a full crop will stick out to the side like that .
Bumble foot is usually on the bottom .
If it is swollen he may have injured it ..or look for a cut to see if there may be a infection
It should smell good after ..use a little see if he tolerates it
Yes he's wet but his breast bone sticks out unlike the others so I think he may be correct about being skinny

I don’t think it’s his breast bone it’s his crop that’s sticking out. I wouldn’t wash your birds and put them outside make sure they are fully dried before bringing them back to the barn that will definitely cause frostbite from the fluctuation in temperature. I would make sure there is some sort of ventilation because the condensation from the birds exhaling can also cause frostbite because it leaves the birds moist. I would definitely treat for Bumblefoot and check other birds for frostebite to see if you need to put in some sort of ventilation.

Frostbite in a bantam after a lovely round of -35F weather... she eventually lost most of her foot.

After about a day
IMG_20170111_184753.jpg

After about a week
IMG_20170125_093734.jpg

Back
Top Bottom