What ISNT wrong with this chick?!!!

Keep it clean. Make sure he doesn't get covered in poo again, or infection may well result, seeing as those are breaks in the skin you're seeing. If you have vetwrap and gauze, you can bandage up the bottoms, which helps keep the germs out. If that's too much work, just make very sure his area is clean. Monitor for things going awry and he'll probably be fine.
Yes I dressed his foot with Vaseline and cloth material. He's in my house in a cat carrier with clean wood chips. But he managed to get the cloth off ugh!

What did you do with her after she lost her foot? Did you cull her? If not, are there ways they can live without 2 feet, just one?
Actually, she had that on both feet. She lost multiple toes, all her toenails, and the skin off her feet. She recovered fully, and despite not having any joint flexion at the ankle or below, she got around fine. I sold her last fall.

I had a duck that lost the entirety of one foot to frostbite. She recovered and could walk around, but later broke her leg in half in a freak accident and had to be euthanized. Critters are tough.

Yes I dressed his foot with Vaseline and cloth material. He's in my house in a cat carrier with clean wood chips. But he managed to get the cloth off ugh!
Get vetwrap. It's all around brilliant and SO nice for bandaging feet. Right now I have a duck outside with a bandaged foot thanks to bumblefoot.

Actually, she had that on both feet. She lost multiple toes, all her toenails, and the skin off her feet. She recovered fully, and despite not having any joint flexion at the ankle or below, she got around fine. I sold her last fall.

I had a duck that lost the entirety of one foot to frostbite. She recovered and could walk around, but later broke her leg in half in a freak accident and had to be euthanized. Critters are tough.

This is so fascinating!!! She roosted? So there’s not too much to worry about with this lil guy then. Good luck to your lil birdie!!

This is so fascinating!!! She roosted? So there’s not too much to worry about with this lil guy then. Good luck to your lil birdie!!
She sure did. Here's a picture of her last summer, all healed up.
P1220265.JPG

This one's foot is swollen so bad he can hardly walk and tries not to put pressure on it. I just now noticed because I was bathing him, he was filthy.
There's no way at all. They are in a closed in barn, no draft and waaay warmer than the outside. I have to take my gloves off in there cus my hands start to sweat
I guess? Poop, dirt, whatever he walked in. I just noticed today when I was giving him a bath
That actually makes sense because their bedding was wet and sloppy this morning from dumping their water. There's only 3 chicks and he's the only one with this. And I never saw him sitting in the corner before today

@FrankHomestead can you post some photos of how they are housed in your barn?
What are you feeding your chicks?

I agree, it could be frostbite, but the photo below reminds me of Pododermatitis as well.
Do the best you can to remove all that poop/gunk that is in the nooks and crannies of both feet.
A daily soaking in Chlorhexidine would be ideal, but you can use epsom salts. A triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn would be better than vaseline.

Chicks can be rambunctious for sure, but spilled water and wet bedding can cause problems, so do your best to stay on top of that.

If you have vet care, that is always best. If the legs/feet do not start to heal within a few days, then you may need to seek further care and treat with antibiotics.

upload_2018-2-4_10-37-17.png

@FrankHomestead can you post some photos of how they are housed in your barn?
What are you feeding your chicks?

I agree, it could be frostbite, but the photo below reminds me of Pododermatitis as well.
Do the best you can to remove all that poop/gunk that is in the nooks and crannies of both feet.
A daily soaking in Chlorhexidine would be ideal, but you can use epsom salts. A triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn would be better than vaseline.

Chicks can be rambunctious for sure, but spilled water and wet bedding can cause problems, so do your best to stay on top of that.

If you have vet care, that is always best. If the legs/feet do not start to heal within a few days, then you may need to seek further care and treat with antibiotics.

View attachment 1255356
His foot is looking much better, thank you everyone for your help!! The blisters are gone and the swelling just about gone.

Back
Top Bottom