What killed my chicken? *GRAPHIC*

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I have a flock of fifteen chickens of different varieties. I have been letting them free range without any issues for the past year. I live in a large suburban neighborhood just outside of city limits, so most predators are not a concern. My backyard is fenced, and there are no holes in my fence.

But I went outside today and found the remains of the smallest member of my flock: my tiny porcelain d'uccle bantam...

As you can see, the carcass has been picked clean. Even the legs and head are missing... All that appears to remain are the wings.

Would it be possibly to identify what predator I am dealing with by this picture?

I'm going to miss my little bantam...

I would say a raptor of some kind they way the way its picked clean but that could have been done by the other hens after she was already dead and left there so unless you have tracks its kinda hard to tell you. But if nothing went under your fence i doubt a dog. It could have been a raccoon as they generally eat the head but the feet nor so sure about.

If your yard is fenced it had to be a bird or raccoon. Raccoons can climb fences and birds just swoop in. When did you discover the body? Was it morning? Do you put them up at night? If it was done overnight it could be raccoon. It's possible the other birds did peck at the carcass. If you lost one, you are likely to lose another. A possum could also have found the carcass which is what happened in my case and there was nothing left but the breast bone.

I'm so sorry about your little bird. I know it's heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom