what killed my geese?

lily99

Hatching
Jul 7, 2016
I'm still crying...and my kids are so upset that my young one couldn't go to camp today.

We got 8 gosling in June 24th. we love them so much. they look very health and happy. our house back to a lake ( but they never had been there yet). and has 4 acres. our neighbors are very nice people.

last Saturday was the first day we had to leave them in yard all day, when we came back around 7:30 pm. not dark yet (we left around 8 am) we saw the most horrifying thing: six of them died , one disappeared, one with badly injured leg. but no blood, no wounds on any of them. including the one survived.

What killed my geese? they were eating grass in my yard for 5 weeks. we fed them some oats and veges mix before lock them down at night.

I know there're fox, coons but the dead six had no blood and wounds at all. and Saturday was raining and stormy.

Thanks for your help!

Lily

So sorry for you loss.
sad.png

We have experience similar losses. Not knowing the culprit only makes it worse. Since I cannot see, my first thoughts are "Dog". Some dogs can hurt without causing blood. They simply bite and run for the next one. Its almost sporty for them. Their natural instinct. But, this is true for some large red foxes as well. Most will kill one and leave. But, sometimes they can't help themselves. Especially for young birds. Raccoons typically feed at night. Hawks rarely hunt in more than pairs. I am thinking fox or dog in the day time. I know this is tough, but this is also a time to think about catching the predator. He will be back to get the ones he left dead on the ground. You might consider using this opportunity to catch him when he returns tonight or tomorrow.

thank you.

my neighbor's dog is old and slow so won't be her. kids found raccoon foot prints. i'm going to get dog proof coon trap.

Coons are terrible at night and love attacking chicks inside coops or runs. But, I have never seen them attack in the day or catch free ranging birds. When they kill, they leave proof. Normally heads are gone and feathers every where because they do not have the ability to kill quickly like a fox or dog. I do not blame you for trapping coons. They maybe and certainly will eventually be a problem. But, I would consider putting out a game trail camera to see if you have another sly predator hanging around.

If it was stormy, is it possible there may have been cloud to ground lightning? I would be surprised to find an entire flock with no sign of injury after a predator attack. I would think that at least some of them would have put up a fight, lost a significant amount of feathers, etc. Just a thought.

Some vets perform a cause of death test. There is a poultry name for it. Can't remember. They check blood and a few other things to help in these matters. I can think of no other cause. But, I have not seen it all just yet. Perhaps it could be lightning. I gather it is possible. So sorry for this loss.

Snakes kill without blood. They will crush their prey to death. They will kill birds too big for them to eat. I rescued 2 bantam hens that had snakes wrapped around them this year. If it was a snake and he was big enough to eat one he may have killed the other ones if they tried to defend themselves.

I'm sorry! What an awful heartbreak, especially for your kids. That does sound like a dog. They do kill for pleasure. They'll go for one until it's dead or no fun, then on to the next until they run out. I have lost a multitude of animals to dogs in the past. It was always horrific and obvious that they were not hunting for food. That's why my rabbits live in my house now.

Back
Top Bottom