what killed my hen?

Chickianado

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2020
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what killed my 4yo hen. At first the only symptom she showed was bottom covered in yellow, exceptionally stinky poo. She then started acting unwell (pale comb, inactive, fluffed up). We put some CORRID in the water, and for a day or two she seemed to be doing better! At least she was more active and hanging out with the flock for a day or two before we found her passed away in the yard when we went to go close the coop.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened with her? I'd like to know if I need to worry about the rest of the flock (everyone seems healthy so far!)

Thank you!

When did she die? Do you still have her body? Was she still laying eggs? Without a necropsy either by you at home, or one done by the state poultry lab, it would be hard to know exactly what killed her. She could have had a reproductive infection or egg yolk peritonitis, a crop disorder, or any number of things. Very sorry for your loss. Here is a list of who to contact if you would like to get a necropsy in the future:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom