What kind and dosage of antibiotics??

I have never dealt with an infection on a face or a peacock for that matter; however, I recently had a hen that had a really badly infected puncture wound on her leg. I gave her Pen-G (penicillin) in her chest muscle via syringe at 0.3 cc for 10 lbs. Maybe adjust the dose accordingly per the weight of your peacock? I have my hen the shot once a day for 4 days and the infection was gone (and it was a BAD infection! I'll spare you the details). Pen-G can be purchased at vet supply or a some feed stores. Also, it has a thick consistency, so I recommend getting a slightly larger gauge needle. I think we used 18-gauge. Good luck! I hope it heals quickly!

Probably sinusitis.. pretty common in peafowl(and turkeys). Tylan is commonly used for treating this. Go down this page for info on how to use:

Hopkins

edited to add, looks like Baytril works also. If you can get this from a vet.. Tylan is usually available at most livestock feed stores and some pet supply places.

Last edited:
Yes, sound like sinusitis, tylan with clear it up, unless your is real bad off ,best not to inject into the muscle, for sure not the leg. It does damage the muscle. Give orally , if bird is real bad off ,into the breast. Only one shot it need in most case, if not better give a 2nd treatment 2nd day..

The few times that I had birds with sinus problems, I used a syringe with a 16 or 18g needle and stuck it in to suck out as much of the gunk as possible. Then I injected Tylan 50 right into the sinus (new syringe with a 20g needle). I don't think Tylan 50 is available anymore, unfortunately. But if you use the injectable and put it into the sinus, there isn't the problem of muscle damage and I never had to repeat the treatment. The birds didn't move after I stuck the needle in which was great since my family all goes into hiding if I do things like that...

Quote:
TSC still sells tylan 50, just got some last week, to replace my outdated bottle. Yes know people who also inject like that. Not me, I give most orally.

So they do still have the Tylan 50 available? About a year ago, I was looking for it and could only find the 200. I looked at Elanco's site (it's their product) and they only had Tylan 200 injectable listed. The only Tylan 50 they show is a premix. I'll have to look around again and see if I can find it... hate to buy it online because you don't know what kind of expiration date you will get.

Though I will note that the one time I treated a pea, we were in the middle of a blizzard, temps were dropping like a rock, and my Tylan 50 was expired. I don't even know why I still had the stuff there, it expired in Mar 2004 and this was Nov 2008. I had only had the peas for a week, and the poor thing was obviously in distress. I knew that it was going to be days before we were dug out from the blizzard, so I used the very expired Tylan. One dose, it took about 1.5 days for the swelling to go completely but it did fine. Then I contacted the seller who was honest and informed me that her peas were all having sinus problems, too. She did offer to take them back, I declined. Now that I am raising turkeys again, I'll need to look at having the peas tested for mycoplasma.

Back
Top Bottom