What kind of ducks are these?

I always brood in my garage. You're right that as they get bigger they get messier, and then they also SMELL. I love ducks and I love ducklings, but man I hate brooding them lol. With two, you might not have as much of a mess on your hands. I have 19 right now and I guarantee I will have at least one more round before I'm done lol.

My garage has a back room that is insulated. So even when it's extra cold outside, the temp holds steady. When it's extra cold, I either add a second heat lamp or I lower the lamp I have on. This way I know the peepers can get warm no matter how cold it is. Could you get a large cardboard box, or larger totes to keep your brooder in? This would just add another barrier between the babies and the cold.

Not to hijack this, but I saw the baking rack over a cake pan idea on pinterest just today. How do you like it? Is it keeping the litter from getting totally soaked?

You don't happen to live in Ohio do you? LOL our TSC had "mystery" ducklings that were yellow with grey masks and patches on them. They are currently brooding in my garage, lol. Yours look much more like Pekins than mine do. In fact, yours look very much like the Pekins we got last spring. Ducks are even more addictive than chickens, so have fun and enjoy!

Ducks are very addictive!

That doesn't really leave them much space to run around. Do you have a smaller rack and panand just put their water on it?

Good to hear. I just want to make sure. I've seen quite a few posts were people got ducklings but didn't know their basic needs. I figured better safe than sorry. Seems like you're off to a great start.

I agree that they get messier and smellier as they grow. Soon they will discover that they can play in the little tray at the bottom of the waterer and they will empty it. One morning I filled mine and 4 ducklings had it empty in the time it took me to get dressed. I think it was at the two week mark when I started using a cool whip container with a hole cut in the lid so they would have water all day. I also used an old milk jug with a hole cut in the side. By the time they were 4 weeks I switched to just having two milk jugs. They will messy the water with their food but they can't knock it all out of the container.

I think the coated baking rack over the pan is fine. I've seen many who use that method and the holes are close enough together their feet shouldn't get stuck.

I also agree that you should move them to an area where you have better control over the temperature. They can't regulate their body temperatures at this age so they can't handle the cold for long periods.

Last edited:

I moved them to one of the dog kennels. I have a heater in there and 2 heat lamps so I'm thinking it should be warm enough. I couldn't take the stink inside anymore, lol

Back
Top Bottom