What kind of ducks are these?

Mallards do not have two eye stripes. They have one. If you got it from a tractor supply it's most likely a Rouen. Especially if it was in an assorted duck shipment. If it is also large that is yet another sign it's a Rouen. Also, check its feet. Is it missing a back toe? If not then definitely a Rouen. Domestic bred Mallards have to be marked so when or if they fly away they don't get confused with wild mallards. Rouens look almost the same as mallards in feather color and pattern. They can't fly though (at least not far) so you won't lose a pet because it wants to fly away. My Rouens look just like yours. And they are only around 6 weeks old and the size of a mallard.

OK thanks. We'll we love him/her already so no worries there. Just irritated that tractor supply weren't upfront with us. Thanks again for your help. :)

Honestly you will probably be happier with the Rouens over the Mallards anyways and I wouldn't even be mad at the tractor supply. They just get assorted ducklings and mallards and Rouens are almost identical when they are little. They might not have known the difference. Here is a pic of my three from a week or so ago.

Mallards do not have two eye stripes. They have one. If you got it from a tractor supply it's most likely a Rouen. Especially if it was in an assorted duck shipment. If it is also large that is yet another sign it's a Rouen. Also, check its feet. Is it missing a back toe? If not then definitely a Rouen. Domestic bred Mallards have to be marked so when or if they fly away they don't get confused with wild mallards. Rouens look almost the same as mallards in feather color and pattern. They can't fly though (at least not far) so you won't lose a pet because it wants to fly away. My Rouens look just like yours. And they are only around 6 weeks old and the size of a mallard.

Last edited:

OK thanks. We'll we love him/her already so no worries there. Just irritated that tractor supply weren't upfront with us. Thanks again for your help. :)

This is where you are wrong, the baby in her picture does not have a complete 2 solid stripe it has a solid stripe and a partial stripe. So the people who used the eye test would say mallard, This shows how the eye test IS NOT 100% accurate. But then again this could still be a mallard that has just been growing faster than usual. The 100% accurate way to tell if you have a mallard or Rouen is watching the development.

My baby Rouens had a "partial" second stripe as do a huge amount of Rouen ducklings. Two eye stripes partial or not indicate Rouen. Idk why you think people would think mallard based off eye striping. The fact it looks larger than the other ducklings and if it isn't clipped also indicate Rouen. If they put that picture on the Rouen duck thread people would say Rouen. There are a ton of pictures on there of little ones with the same striping. Here are mine at a few days old.

And again around the same age this little one is.

This is where you are wrong, the baby in her picture does not have a complete 2 solid stripe it has a solid stripe and a partial stripe. So the people who used the eye test would say mallard, This shows how the eye test IS NOT 100% accurate. But then again this could still be a mallard that has just been growing faster than usual. The 100% accurate way to tell if you have a mallard or Rouen is watching the development.

Last edited:
I have actually raised rouens before and I have raised mallard for a very long time.

These are 100% pure bred top show man quality mallard ducklings , so now look at what I see I see a partial 2nd eye stripe and a solid second eye stripe both on pure bred mallard ducklings.

Rouen ducklings have solid second eye stripe almost always, you do get your occasioned when they have 1 eye stripe or partial eye stripes so a Rouen duckling that has a partial 2nd eye stripe does support my claim of the eye test not being 100% accurate. So thank you.

Last edited:
That is basically what I am saying too. I'm not trying to fight. There are other factors that point to Rouen. Like the fact it was gotten from a tractor supply of mixed ducklings, it's larger than the Others, has a bigger chest from what I can see as well. And if it has all its little toes it is a Rouen. Or do you really think a tractor supply is going to order ducks from a hatchery and they are going to send unmarked domestic mallards in an assorted group of ducklings?

That's a very cute little duckling btw.

I have actually raised rouens before and I have raised mallard for a very long time.

These are 100% pure bred top show man quality mallard ducklings , so now look at what I see I see a partial 2nd eye stripe. Rouen ducklings have solid second eye stripe, but a Rouen duckling that has a partial 2nd eye stripe does support my claim of the eye test not being 100% accurate. So thank you.

Last edited:
That is basically what I am saying too. I'm not trying to fight. There are other factors that point to Rouen. Like the fact it was gotten from a tractor supply of mixed ducklings, it's larger than the Others, has a bigger chest from what I can see as well. And if it has all its little toes it is a Rouen. Or do you really think a tractor supply is going to order ducks from a hatchery and they are going to send unmarked domestic mallards in an assorted group of ducklings?

That's a very cute little duckling btw.

These are 100% pure bred top show man quality mallard ducklings , so now look at what I see I see a partial 2nd eye stripe. Rouen ducklings have solid second eye stripe, but a Rouen duckling that has a partial 2nd eye stripe does support my claim of the eye test not being 100% accurate. So thank you.

Who even knows what tractor and supply do anymore they have made me so angry so many number of times.

Ps my anger isn't pointed at you but toward tractor and supply

i don't think it's really the tractor supplies fault either. The fact that apparently even mallards can have two solid eye stripes means it's almost impossible with day olds to tell them apart. They get straight run mixes most of the time. I doubt they even know what they have. Ik the ones here never know what is what when it comes to ducklings. Heck they only carry them for Easter here.

Who even knows what tractor and supply do anymore they have made me so angry so many number of times.

Ps my anger isn't pointed at you but toward tractor and supply

I do agree that tsc probably just doesn't know what they get , which is the reason I will never buy ducklings from tsc.( never have never will lol) but I feel like the hatcheries should at least label there shipments.

Ya I got my three from one but they are just pets. Will never do it again though since I don't want any more males even if I just have one. Which I'm still not certain on since I still have one that hasn't started to grow out of its baby voice. I got extremely lucky getting two girls out of three. My biggest one is a girl. My originally smallest is also a girl. Goes to show size really doesn't mean anything about sex. At a couple weeks it was easy to see they were Rouens as they have such a different body than mallards. And holy moly do they grow fast. Might get a couple Cayuga females but still haven't made up my mind on that.

I do agree that tsc probably just doesn't know what they get , which is the reason I will never buy ducklings from tsc.( never have never will lol) but I feel like the hatcheries should at least label there shipments.

Back
Top Bottom