What kind of ducks do YOU have?

Here is my silky drake
30466_pict0012.jpg

I dont have any good pics of my duck, I will try and get some soon.

Quote:
I can fully understand that .My problem is I just fall in love with them and couldn't bring myself to do it.I love their laugh ,I love it when they coming running to tell me hello (really wanting food because they are greedy
smile.png
) but they do follow me everywhere talking . I have 1 muscovy female that is just the sweetest thing .There is just no way I can eat them .
I am a sap and will never make a good farmer
sad.png
.... My heart gets in the way and I become friends with my birds.
I started out wanting to raise birds for the meat as it is the smart thing to do and much healthier for you. Good luck to you on it

Last edited:
I did the math and this year I went through 22 ducks! Freebie eggs I hatched, ordered eggs produced 1 baby, 5 Easter time rescues, 2 purchased at a swap, order of 10 babies, and one more "rescue". Most went to a friend who has a 2 acre pond, the rest left in groups of 2 or 3 to pet homes.

Over the winter I'll have what I have now, 5 Saxony (2 drakes and 3 hens) and Quackers, a Black Swedish hen.

Spring I'll be a hatching fool, to get a replacement drake with better coloring than one I have now, and 3 more hens added, and 2 of the current ones replaced. Hopefully selling enough to break even, and some left over to send for processing.

Very cute Silkie duck!

I only have three Saxony hens. But at least I'll have a really light load for winter.
big_smile.png

aineheartsyou: How do Silky ducks do in colder climates?

Back
Top Bottom