what kind of feed for my ducks?

There are several causes, mostly dietary.
What were you feeding your duck - as in protein, calcium and vitamin content?
The best thing is not to feed ducks the same as you would chickens or gamebirds.
A few companies actually make a duck feed.

Here are a couple suggestions from both Cackle and Metzer farm.

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-prevent-angel-wing-in-ducks-and-geese/

https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm
https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm

Last edited:
this?
Screenshot 2021-02-07 131842.jpg

As suggested, Mazuri is likely the best-formulated feed for waterfowl needs, but other brands such as Purina Flock Raiser, or All flock Feed are well-formulated too. AW (angel wing) has not been well discussed as a topic, but other potential causative agents for a bird to develop AW include lots' others than simply "too high protein in diet". Genetics, and environmental matters that speed growth can cause deformities in the muscular-skeletal systems.

For ducklings, I recommend a balanced feed, a large brooder for exercise, and a day, and night cycle that closely replicates its time as it would in the wild. Keeping birds in an area that exercise cannot be accomplished, and providing a heat lamp 24/7 is a good way to promote AW development.

As suggested, Mazuri is likely the best-formulated feed for waterfowl needs, but other brands such as Purina Flock Raiser, or All flock Feed are well-formulated too. AW (angel wing) has not been well discussed as a topic, but other potential causative agents for a bird to develop AW include lots' others than simply "too high protein in diet". Genetics, and environmental matters that speed growth can cause deformities in the muscular-skeletal systems.

For ducklings, I recommend a balanced feed, a large brooder for exercise, and a day, and night cycle that closely replicates its time as it would in the wild. Keeping birds in an area that exercise cannot be accomplished, and providing a heat lamp 24/7 is a good way to promote AW development.
Yes, genetics can definitely have a role to play. There is an entire flock of Muscovy that live in my area, I usually only see them every couple months, but ever single bird in the entire flock has angel wing. Some have it on both sides, some on just one. They just all kind of walk around neighborhoods foraging and getting food from people.

Yes, genetics can definitely have a role to play. There is an entire flock of Muscovy that live in my area, I usually only see them every couple months, but ever single bird in the entire flock has angel wing. Some have it on both sides, some on just one. They just all kind of walk around neighborhoods foraging and getting food from people.

This year, I had one Call duck develop AW, out of the other fifty-something ducklings I've raised, using the same feed, and environmental conditions. Would seem quite apparent the cause would be related to genetics, rather than anything nutritionally related.

The problem with ducks at the park, is many people feed unhealthy feeds that can promote such conditions. In wild flocks, it is practically out ruled as a genetic trait since most predators get them first before reproduction occurs. Awfully, sad to hear some many are affected at your park.

Back
Top Bottom