WHAT KIND OF "PEOPLE" FOOD CAN CHICKENS EAT?

I know they can eat potato skin. Has long as their not green. Well this is kind of obvious too, but they can also eat corn and mealworms. They can also eat pretty much anything else too.

Last edited:
We just got our first flock yesterday, and immediately the chickens & ducks began to rummage through our compost pile. I've heard I should not feed them raw eggs, but does that mean they shouldn't eat the egg shells we normally toss onto our pile? I wouldn't want my birds cracking open their own eggs...so should I nip this in the bud, or not worry about it?

We toss coffee grounds onto our compost pile as well...can that be harmful to chickens/ducks?

(sorry if any of this was covered earlier in this thread, I'm new and haven't had the time to read through everything yet)

- TieDyeMommy

Chickens are your composting best friends. They will shred and turn it constantly, helping it along and enriching it with manure. Mine get egg shells in the compost all the time, and I have never had a hen peck open a laid egg.

We just got our first flock yesterday, and immediately the chickens & ducks began to rummage through our compost pile.  I've heard I should not feed them raw eggs, but does that mean they shouldn't eat the egg shells we normally toss onto our pile?  I wouldn't want my birds cracking open their own eggs...so should I nip this in the bud, or not worry about it?

We toss coffee grounds onto our compost pile as well...can that be harmful to chickens/ducks?

(sorry if any of this was covered earlier in this thread, I'm new and haven't had the time to read through everything yet)

- TieDyeMommy

Good to know, AxisOfBeagles!
thumbsup.gif

Our ladies love sliced bananas, they are of mixed reaction to sliced apples, but they love sliced tomatoes (all raw). Looking forward to giving them some yogurt soon & see what they think. They have also devoured all of the eggshells from our compost pile, and they get plenty of bugs from the ground/compost pile.
big_smile.png

- TieDyeMommy

Our ladies love sliced bananas, they are of mixed reaction to sliced apples, but they love sliced tomatoes (all raw).  Looking forward to giving them some yogurt soon & see what they think.  They have also devoured all of the eggshells from our compost pile, and they get plenty of bugs from the ground/compost pile.  :D

- TieDyeMommy

Bananas, apples, tomatoes and yoghurt - sounds like a buffet at the health food store!

I read egg shells are great for them to eat. But I also read coffee is bad. I hope they like June bugs!!!!! I will be getting my chickens just in time for June bug season!!!! Oh how I hate those little bugger's.

Back
Top Bottom