What kind of pigeon is this...

EggHunter_66

Songster
13 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Box Springs,Georgia
I saved this pigeon from my local animal control roughly 6 monthe ago, it was brought in because it was injured and would never fly again. I raise chickens not Pigeons but I didn't want it to be put down so I took it home. Since then I've grown fond of it and would like to know what kind and if possible if it's a male or female.
Thanks for any input!
_DSC1050.JPG
_DSC1048.JPG

Looks like a pretty girl to me.
I can only tell be their faces a rough guess.
Im usually right.
Get me a side pic of the face. Then i can tell.
I keel pigeons with chickens and they are fine together.
Provode seperate food and water for her as chickens eat everything dont they?

She will be fine what a great thing you did saving her. What name have you given?
Well done for saving a beautiful animal!

Looks like a rock dove to me and they come in all sorts of colours. :) My town is full of the things and they come in so many colours and varieties, fan tailed, cinnamons, some even look like dalmatians and seagulls, I have thought on catching some to take home and start breeding! :lau The town wouldn't mind as they have been putting up hawk statues and spikes to try and deter them to no avail.

Edit: I even saw a female dove nesting between the spikes and raising her young there, crazy things.

If no eggs yet, could you assume male?
Pigeons need a mate to lay eggs

I could tell if there were a few birds together because the boys act boyish and terratorial and the girls would be chased by them.

As the boys want a mate.
Otherwise pigeons dont just lay eggs fof no reason. Unlike chickens who lay eggs often yearly.

Back
Top Bottom