What Kind of Quail is This?

ChickenMama6RIR

Free Ranging
7 Years
Forgive the fact that these aren't great pics, because ya know... They're quail 🤣 But they were sold to me as Jumbo Japanese. Most of them have that wild type color. But I have about 5 or 6 of these golden (?) Colored ones. Are they still japanese or something else? Thank y'all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_202139.jpg
    IMG_20220606_202139.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220606_202141.jpg
    IMG_20220606_202141.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220606_202134.jpg
    IMG_20220606_202134.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 4
Give them a couple weeks to get used to their new surroundings. Quail don't like change and will protest by not laying for a while.
It probably doesn't help then that I had them for over a week then changed their waterer 🤦 I'm not in a rush tho lol. The males aren't even creating foam yet. Luckily I think they are pretty color sexable. Do you think those golden ones are feather sexable as well? I have some with a light tan chest and some with speckles

Ok good to know! Thank you! I'm not worried about them being jumbo. I really just want their eggs. They "should" be around 5-7 weeks old, but so far no crowing or eggs.
How many do you have in this cage?
I see some males.

If you try to get a few more clearer pictures get some of their chest area.
The ones with the rusty solid colored chest are males.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-211107.png
    Screenshot_20220606-211107.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220606-211044.png
    Screenshot_20220606-211044.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
How many do you have in this cage?
I see some males.

If you try to get a few more clearer pictures get some of their chest area.
The ones with the rusty solid colored chest are males.
There are currently 40 in the cage. It's an 8x2. All but probably about 4 of the males are going to meat camp tho. So I'm guessing that will free up around 25 spaces lol. I don't have any good pictures right now. I can get some tomorrow tho!

There are currently 40 in the cage. It's an 8x2. All but probably about 4 of the males are going to meat camp tho. So I'm guessing that will free up around 25 spaces lol. I don't have any good pictures right now. I can get some tomorrow tho!
Oh my that is a lot for one cage. Do you have another cage?

40 birds in 16 square feet is awfully crowded. I know that commercial breeders will tell you 3 birds per square foot, but more space is better. I wouldn't put more than 10 in there.

The golden ones are also feather sexable. The males will have brown heads.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I knew that I would only keep about half, which is almost a square foot a bird. I got them when they were about 4 weeks old. I rescued them from someone who basically left them in the rain. When I got them, their feathers where very crusty and I have quite a few that are missing tips of their toes because feces got balled up on their toes and cut off circulation. I'm happy to say tho that they are all in much better health. I am actually looking for another coop. I should have another one this week, by this weekend at the latest because I was wanting to have no more than 20 a coop.

Back
Top Bottom