What kind of rooster?

Sunshine77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
We have adopted 5 red sex link hens. They are 2 1/2 to 3 yrs old. I do not know at what point they stop laying. We would like to get a rooster for them. We want one for protection, to help produce chicks, good egg laying breed, and one that would complement the characteristics of the hens. Any suggestions?? I am looking for a well-mannered, colourful rooster. We have a brahma and a silkie rooster ...and they are both delights to behold!! (separate pens)
NOTE: I am not looking to continue the sex-color link.

I would not expect sex-linked hens of that age to lay too many more eggs. Generally, the sex-links are "laying machines" for about two years and then they are spent. They may lay an occasional egg at this age, or may be done all together.

I love my roosters. They treat my hens nicely, allow for fertile eggs and keep an eye out for dangers. But be aware that a rooster is as much a prey animal as his hens and other than being a lookout and calling an early warning to the hens, he can't do much to protect them. If a predator such as a raccoon, fox or coyote gets in, he will be as vulnerable to being killed as the hens.

Pretty much any production based rooster will give you decent laying chicks. Beyond that, it's a matter of color and individual temperament of the bird. Roosters should be a dime a dozen on CL or similar this time of the year. A young cockerel raised by those older hens should do well to give you fertile eggs later this summer.

Back
Top Bottom