What kind to get??? WHY is it so hard to choose???

Quote:
Wow... I've already got your DH PO'd? Well, since I don't have one of my own to spin up... why not yours?? LOL!

My Lavs have great personalities. They aren't huggable or anything but they're very curious and usually pretty calm... tho they do get the zoomies from time to time
big_smile.png
Mostly, they just go around policing the ducks. They get a little hissy during breeding season but we agree to disagree as long as they don't cross that line.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that unless you purchase your Sebbies from someone who is a serious show breeder like Cottage Rose, they aren't going to look that gorgeous.

Sebbies aren't so fabulous looking when they are all smooth in the front and only have a few bedraggled twisted feathers on their wings. So pay attention to where you are getting your Sebbies from. That glorious plumage is inherited and you won't get that look from second rate birds.

Quote:
Thank you O.B. and good point.
smile.png

BUT no matter how good quality Sebs look in the fall - early winter when they are at their peak loveliness
some Sebbies blow or break off their feathers quite quickly not to mention ice forming
on their long feathers during the winter and wear & tear during the breeding season.
Never the less most Sebs can look fairly decent year round IF you have good management.
I think management plays a BIG roll in their condition & feather development so take good care of your livestock and they will look great.
(i.e. sunshine, grass, FRESH water and the correct % protien feed)

Here's a before an after pic of the same goose to give you an idea:

Summer
standard.jpg

Early Autumn
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Cottage Rose......what I want more than any of them is a grey saddleback! But.....I heard you may not have some in spring??!?!? The other thing that holds me back is the min order of 3....though I am looking for someone else to go in on an order with me. Oregon Blues......Cottage Rose is THE place to get Sebbies...that is where I would be getting mine from. But, I have to admit....I keep looking at the Americans, but am always going back to the Sebastapols. I WISH I could get both kinds....I really do.
roll.png

Quote:
No point in stressing about it, bayyjayy... you'll get the Sebbies from CR and you'll love them and hug them and squeeze them and name them George. Then, soon enough, you'll tell your DH that you really NEED the Americans and he'll give you "the look" but you'll get them anyway.
lol.png

This is all an inevitable progression that comes with owning fowl. You know you have too many, that you've reached your "limit" but somehow, you just know you can't live without THOSE ducks/geese/chickens and you know just. where. to. get. them.

Thank goodness you have DH to at least give you pause. I only have myself to police myself and there's a serious conflict of interest going on there!
tongue.png

I would have NEVER in a million years believed that birds were addicting! EVER! Now that I am in love, it just seems natural to add, add, add, and add more. Serious problem!

Quote:
No point in stressing about it, bayyjayy... you'll get the Sebbies from CR and you'll love them and hug them and squeeze them and name them George. Then, soon enough, you'll tell your DH that you really NEED the Americans and he'll give you "the look" but you'll get them anyway.
lol.png

This is all an inevitable progression that comes with owning fowl. You know you have too many, that you've reached your "limit" but somehow, you just know you can't live without THOSE ducks/geese/chickens and you know just. where. to. get. them.

Thank goodness you have DH to at least give you pause. I only have myself to police myself and there's a serious conflict of interest going on there!
tongue.png

*nods* well said!

Quote:
It's not that I won't have any.
I'm just not sure if I will take early deposits for 2012 day olds cuz this year was such an odd breeding season with a late start and low hatch rate.
Might just wait n' see what happens next spring before I make any promises.
No doubt I will have some 2012's for sale either in the spring or fall.
Jean Ribbeck (Pips&Peeps) might have day olds for sale and keep an eye on the Sebbie Forum's classifieds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom