What kind to get??? WHY is it so hard to choose???

Quote:
May I make a suggestion? See what is available to you! both your choices are in short supply in most areas. It would be a real bummer to finally make up your mind only to find that you can't get them. I started with a pair of crossbred mutts for learner geese. After a year and many mistakes (1 fatal) I broke out my check book and bought the expensive geese that I wanted (I gave the survior goose to another person just starting out with geese. She decided geese were not for her.

the Sebbies are beautiful, I like them, but my dh doesn't care for them. we're wanting some pilgrim or toulouse geese. but it's hard to find any.

Quote:
May I make a suggestion? See what is available to you! both your choices are in short supply in most areas. It would be a real bummer to finally make up your mind only to find that you can't get them. I started with a pair of crossbred mutts for learner geese. After a year and many mistakes (1 fatal) I broke out my check book and bought the expensive geese that I wanted (I gave the survior goose to another person just starting out with geese. She decided geese were not for her.

Good advice, gd. There is actually Sebbies available in my area, which I just found out about and was wayyyy excited about....until I saw the grey saddlebacks. I feel that I am ready for any type of geese. The only reason I don't want to start out on a cheaper pair is because I dont' want to have to rehome any to get the ones I reallllly want. That is why I have as many ducks as I do....I am not going to rehome them just to get the ones I really want (Anconas!!!). Plus, I love them!!
smile.png

I had actually found that I can get American Buffs from my local feed store, SEXED, for less than $14 each. Realllllly hard not to just go with them.....$50 each for the Sebbies, PLUS shipping, when I can get TWO of the Buffs, which is one of the ones I have thought about getting anyway for so much cheaper, though I love the color of the blues and lavenders. But....dang! Those saddlebacks are just amazing to look at, with the personality to die for if you listen to people who have them.

Quote:
Blues I agree with you as long as you know exactly how to raise geese. No wide eyed plans to let them free range and with enclosures strong enough to keep out bears or what ever your top preditor happens to be. Actually I expect the average life of a pair of goslings in the hands of newcomers to geese raising is more like one year. How many stories have we read from people that found that that those cute goslings turned into hansome young adults and then into "vicious mean birds" that were 'rehomed' or sent to 'freezer camp'. Not everybody is cut out to be goose people. I was experienced at raising Muscovy ducks and still managed to lose one of my two geese in the first year. I ran across the lady that gave me my first pair years ago, it was the last year before she started birth control on her home flock. she gave away 6 pairs that year and I was the only left with a bird by the next season. It hurt as much to lose that free goose as it did to lose the Holderreeds stock that I invested more than $600 in. That is why I recommend' learner' geese to new goose people.

Quote:
It's not that I won't have any.
I'm just not sure if I will take early deposits for 2012 day olds cuz this year was such an odd breeding season with a late start and low hatch rate.
Might just wait n' see what happens next spring before I make any promises.
No doubt I will have some 2012's for sale either in the spring or fall.
Jean Ribbeck (Pips&Peeps) might have day olds for sale and keep an eye on the Sebbie Forum's classifieds.

Can you tell what color they will end up when they are day-olds? I will be ordering from you in the future, as I definitely want to get 3 Sebastopols. Love your Sebbies!!! Praying for a good hatch rate for you this coming season!!!!!

Quote:
Blues I agree with you as long as you know exactly how to raise geese. No wide eyed plans to let them free range and with enclosures strong enough to keep out bears or what ever your top preditor happens to be. Actually I expect the average life of a pair of goslings in the hands of newcomers to geese raising is more like one year. How many stories have we read from people that found that that those cute goslings turned into hansome young adults and then into "vicious mean birds" that were 'rehomed' or sent to 'freezer camp'. Not everybody is cut out to be goose people. I was experienced at raising Muscovy ducks and still managed to lose one of my two geese in the first year. I ran across the lady that gave me my first pair years ago, it was the last year before she started birth control on her home flock. she gave away 6 pairs that year and I was the only left with a bird by the next season. It hurt as much to lose that free goose as it did to lose the Holderreeds stock that I invested more than $600 in. That is why I recommend' learner' geese to new goose people.

Ignore his advice, Oregon. He doesn't even own a goose.

Last edited:
I agree Oregon and well worth paying out a little more for the best quality you can obtain, especially for foundation stock for breeding programmes
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom