What makes a coop "Fort Knox" predator proof?

Very good information, thank you! Oh goodness though, that's a big number, haha... I'm gonna need to think about it :)
That number will definitely get your point across though. :lau

I don’t know that I would have gone out and bought it to use around my coop. But since I already had it I made use of it.

That number will definitely get your point across though. :lau

I don’t know that I would have gone out and bought it to use around my coop. But since I already had it I made use of it.

Yeah, it makes sense if you already had it. Maybe if I keep my larger-holed fencing, and instead of layering denser HC on top of it, I get an electric fence instead? The cost might end up about the same... But will the electric fence be effective against all the critters I'm trying to protect from? I'm guessing they have to make contact with the wire(s) for it to work... What if they don't? Like if something jumps up to climb the fence and doesn't touch the wires...

Yeah, it makes sense if you already had it. Maybe if I keep my larger-holed fencing, and instead of layering denser HC on top of it, I get an electric fence instead? The cost might end up about the same... But will the electric fence be effective against all the critters I'm trying to protect from? I'm guessing they have to make contact with the wire(s) for it to work... What if they don't? Like if something jumps up to climb the fence and doesn't touch the wires...
Hmmm, I ran three wires at different heights. At the time my possible target predators would have been cats and dogs (medium and large), so I ran the wires at the levels of their noses.

I am not familiar with how raccoons, opossums and/or fishers act when approaching a fence. I don’t know if they jump or not so I really don’t know.

@goldysgirl :eek: whoa!! How do you keep it from shocking the chickens? Does it have to be installed some distance from the run fence? That would make it easy to trip over it, even if you turn it off while you're working in the vicinity... but if it's right up against the fencing, then it might shock the chickens...
It is a few inches from the outside of the fence. There are plastic poles about every 3.5 feet with about 5 strands of electric fence wire going around the chain link fence. The wire strands go about 3.5 or 4 feet up. One strand crosses below the gate door. It is really low and you already have to step over the pole below the gate, so I have never bumped it. I don't think I have ever accidentally bumped my fence. I've just gotten zapped trying to pluck a weed or kick a piece of mulch off. I used to have a battery powered one and it was a pain to turn on and off, so I got lazy. It also needed charged every so often. My newer solar one shuts off with a flip of a switch and is always "hot." I have only seen a chicken get shocked once. I think their feathers are pretty resistant and I think it might need to touch skin somewhere for them to get a jolt. The bird bumped it when it was outside the pen. Also, before I added welded wire and mesh to keep chickie heads in, they would stick their heads through the chain link to eat grass and I never saw them get shocked. Those birds are not normally outside of the fence, but I would turn it off if I let them out. The fence at my workplace is in an area where it can easily get bumped and is way, way, way, way more powerful. Yes, 4 "ways" haha. It is for larger animals. I try to be careful to avoid bumping it!

I’m not worried about cats and dogs, or even raccoons and other larger things, since the 2”x2” panels I have will definitely stop those. I’m worried about fishers and other such sneaky things that squeeze themselves through small holes... So if the electric fence is a question mark when it comes to fishers, then I don’t think it’s worth the risk at that price....

I compared Amazon and Home Depot and they’re about the same. Walmart I don’t know and don’t care. Walmart and I are not friends.

Short answer.....diligence. Check regularly for signs that attempts have been made to get in and shore up those spots if you find those signs. Look for fences and doors that may begin to sag or gap. If you have electric fencing as added protection, check connections and for ground contact regularly. And make sure that you listen to your birds.....fussing, loud chattering, and alarm calls at night need to be heeded.

Remember that even Fort Knox has guards and a constant state of readiness!

Great job. I love hardware wire and feel if you are going to have birds invest in the coop before you do it as opposed to constantly trying to fix a problem after the fact. Two things I did was at the bottom of the run I put wire flat on the ground and out about 18" tight and on top of the grass. (the grass grows through it fairly fast)It also runs up the wall of the run. So in other words it makes and L shape. This keeps the diggers out because they are not smart enough to dig further back from the fencing. I also invested in an electric door that closes at night and opens in the morning on a timer. This keeps me from the mistake of forgetting to put the ladies in at night and makes it possible for me to not be home every evening to lock them up. It is the same size (or slightly larger) than the chicken access door, slides slightly past the door sill to prevent raccoon hands from getting under and lifting it, and slides up and down in metal channels located on the inside and both sides of the door. It is made from one of those white plastic cutting boards you use in your kitchen that has a hand hole in the top and works like a charm. No swelling of wood to make it stick. The hand hole is where the cable fastens that lifts and lowers the door. All windows are covered with hardware wire with a small hole for the push out handle that opens the windows. Only thing you need to remember is to adjust your timer according to the day length so your girls don't get locked out or in. I usually give them 20-30 minutes leeway to get in and out. So if it gets dark at 5pm set the timer to close at 5:30 and open 30 min after it gets light. To find the mechanism for the automatic door just google it. It's a little spendy (about $100 when I bought it) but worth it's weight in gold.

Great job. I love hardware wire and feel if you are going to have birds invest in the coop before you do it as opposed to constantly trying to fix a problem after the fact. Two things I did was at the bottom of the run I put wire flat on the ground and out about 18" tight and on top of the grass. (the grass grows through it fairly fast)It also runs up the wall of the run. So in other words it makes and L shape. This keeps the diggers out because they are not smart enough to dig further back from the fencing. I also invested in an electric door that closes at night and opens in the morning on a timer. This keeps me from the mistake of forgetting to put the ladies in at night and makes it possible for me to not be home every evening to lock them up. It is the same size (or slightly larger) than the chicken access door, slides slightly past the door sill to prevent raccoon hands from getting under and lifting it, and slides up and down in metal channels located on the inside and both sides of the door. It is made from one of those white plastic cutting boards you use in your kitchen that has a hand hole in the top and works like a charm. No swelling of wood to make it stick. The hand hole is where the cable fastens that lifts and lowers the door. All windows are covered with hardware wire with a small hole for the push out handle that opens the windows. Only thing you need to remember is to adjust your timer according to the day length so your girls don't get locked out or in. I usually give them 20-30 minutes leeway to get in and out. So if it gets dark at 5pm set the timer to close at 5:30 and open 30 min after it gets light. To find the mechanism for the automatic door just google it. It's a little spendy (about $100 when I bought it) but worth it's weight in gold.
I looked at your profile, and see only one posting.... that automatically tells me to send you a WELCOME:thumbsup
Then I see you have been a READER, not a WRITER for a long time. Many peeps are like yourself here. Learn all you need by reading the GREAT INFO here on BYC,
WELL,,,,,,,, I'm still sending you this,, :welcome
Better late than never:)

Back
Top Bottom