What meat chickens should I raise? What's the differences?

Great thread Jeff!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for mentioning the difficulty in processing DP birds. I thought it was just me not having enough experience... but it really was difficult to get up inside those cavities to get the lungs out. I kept reading all these people talking about how fast they could process a broiler, and here I was getting through maybe four in an hour. The narrower bodies and harder keels really do make a big difference.

Hey, jeff. thanks alot for all of this info. you really hit the spot. i have a bout 75-80 red broilers. any age i should be selling them at so i can get an almost full price?

Quote:
Excellent article, thanks for the link. And a really useful thread, as we peruse hatchery catalogs and contemplate next year's menu options.

Hi Jeff - I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your posting, and to agree with others that it's about as good a general review as anyone could write. In truth, there's no "one size fits all" response to what someone "wants" when it comes to any sort of livestock. We all have our own desired outcomes, and many of those are quite different. I sometimes wonder if people would be better off reading a summary of this sort written from the angle of the type person who wants to raise poultry, rather than the type of poultry available to be raised. For example, I'd give a much different answer as to "What type of egg layers should I get?" to someone who seems to want cute little pet chickens pecking about the yard than I would to someone wanting to sell eggs at the local farmer's market. Know what I mean? The same thing goes for meat birds (although not so many people wanting pets would be interested in getting meat birds). REALLY nice job!

I"m glad to see this post. I am considering getting some meat birds. Just not sure I can do the "deed" and the processing. I'm a nurse, and blood and guts don't bother me, but I'm just not sure I'm up to processing chickens!!! Especially here where it's 100 degrees outside.

Oh. Yeah. Sorry. I forgot about hobbies!

I was nettled by this for a moment ... then I thought: Well, the grid ISN'T down, I can still jump in my gasburner and drive down the block to buy 99 cent per pound factory chicken at the supermarket. I am not at all interested in running a commercial chicken operation, even a small one, not even just to share chicken with friends. I am only interested in growing chicken for myself, and I don't care about getting the optimal feed to weight conversion rate. So, in fact, you're right: chicken rearing and butchering are my hobbies. Strange hobbies indeed!

Thanks for the original post; I found it extremely interesting!​

my self id rather have a dp flock that way i dont have to worry about getting replacement chickens from a hatchery every year i want my flock to beable to breed and make there own chicks i also like the idea to also have some eggs to eat also true it might be takeing more time to grow out my birds but at least if the grid ever does go down for some reason i know that my flock will keep haveing more chicks and laying eggs to feed us ive been looking at the meat birds and the layers and i decided to go with the dp birds ive got barred rocks and jersey giants now but looking to add even more kinds of dp birds i know that the jersey giants will take way to long to really ever be a meat bird but the barred rocks are doing a good job at laying eggs and theyare good sizrd birds to eat as well sence its not like we are feeding a large family anymore and besides the dp birds are lots easyer to care for they like to free range they dont eat till they die and they will go out looking for bugs and weeds and other stuff sothey do pretty much take care of there own needs i just fill the water and the feeder toss them some leftovers for treats dont have to pick up the feeders at night just a lot less work for me

Good post, Jeff. Helps folks decide what to raise based on their own needs & purposes, and what to expect. You've got it pegged.
thumbsup.gif

I don't care for meaties polarization. Choose to raise what you like for the reasons you choose and let the next person do the same.
PS I liked the fact that you provided some documentation to your Pros/cons list!

Back
Top Bottom